Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

serena11
Regular Visitor

Want my data to refresh automatically. Help!

I have a report with stats on my company. I get updated excel spreadsheets on the company each month and update my report by changing the data source to the new spreadsheet.

I want to know if there is a way I can have the data refresh automatically when the new report comes in?

The data is always in the same format with the same headers and it is possible thata I can switch last month's spreadsheet to the current months so that the location of the data is the same, I just want a more seamless data refresh process.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @serena11 

Is this problem sloved? 

If it is sloved, could you kindly accept it as a solution to close this case?
If not, please let me know.

Best Regards
Maggie
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @serena11 

If you have monthly excel files in one folder, you could connect to the folder via "Folder" connector in Power BI Desktop.

Then you can get all files information in Power Query,

filter the current month row, then expand the table data,

you can always have the newest month data to show on Power BI report.

For more details, you could refer to this article.

https://powerbi.tips/2016/06/loading-data-from-folder/

The method above needs to refresh from Power BI Desktop so that the changes can update in Power BI.

To make the refresh automatically, you could publish Power BI Report to Power BI Service, then configure schedule refresh with the on-premise gateway.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-upload-desktop-files

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-scheduled-refresh

Best Regards
Maggie
Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Unfortunatly I want future monthly reports to update automatically which get released every month, which are obviously to be releasd in the futre. Does that mean uyour solution will not work?

Hi @serena11 

Yes.

With schedule refresh you could set the date and time to refresh your report from data source automatically.

Best Regards
Maggie
Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I am not sure if Power Bi can change data source automaticaly.

I am in proccess of doing something similar to what you need.

My plan is to create macro in excel that:

1. looks for unread emails

2. open attachement - pulls data and add it to my existing sheet in folder. This will be set up to start 6:30am

3. Power BI is set up to refresh at 7:00am once this proccess is finished.

I am half way through to finish it at the moment.

daniel

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.