Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MCK003
Frequent Visitor

WORKING ON IT issue

Hello,

I am having an intermittent issue in Power BI while created a new measure. My data model is simple. It has one fact table (1.5M rows) and 4 dimension tables (joined using a 7-digit numerical key in a single directional one-to-many relationship). I do not have any calculated columns and have just starting writing measures. I am running on a 64-bit version of PBI on a powerful Intel Xeon Gold 6136 processor with 16GB RAM. Needles to say, I have plenty of hard disk space available.

The issue is not consistent. I can write 5 measure and they load in milliseconds, but on the 6th it will get stuck on "working on it" for up to 60 seconds! The 7th might be back to normal. This also occasionally happens while performing other actions such as renaming measures or even renaming a value in a visual.

I have thousands of hours of experience in Power BI (I am a consultant) and have never come across this before. I am working on the client's virtual machine on a server.

Please help!

MCK

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MCK003
Frequent Visitor

It seems that the issue was the use of binary as a key between fact tables and dimension tables. I moved to a numerical key and this solved the problem.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
MCK003
Frequent Visitor

It seems that the issue was the use of binary as a key between fact tables and dimension tables. I moved to a numerical key and this solved the problem.

v-xulin-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MCK003,

You can try to clear cache and check again.

Given that you said the issue is not consistent and your data model is simple, maybe it was not affected by the performance of the measure.

You can also check version of Power bi desktop and update to new.

Best Regards,

Link

VijayP
Super User
Super User

@MCK003 

Have you tried Performance Analyser to see the issue where things are getting stuck! It solves the problem most of the time.!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
MY Blog || My YouTube Channel || Connect with me on Linkedin || My Latest Data Story - Ageing Analysis

Proud to be a Super User!

MCK003
Frequent Visitor

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the performance analyzer monitors the report to see details about the time taken by each visual to query for its data and render the result. It would not monitor measure creation, right?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.