Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Eagles83

WORKDAY formula in Power BI

I want to count 3 business days from [dateX]   The result must exclude weekends and federal holidays. The Excel equivalent would be WORKDAY(dateX,3,'Federal Holiday Sheet'!A;A))  with the Federal Holiday Sheet listing all holiday dates in column A. So if dateX is 6/27/17 I want the result to be 6/30/17; if dateX is 6/30/17, I wante the result to be 6/6/17 (skip weekend and July4th).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Eagles83,

Firstly, import your Federal Holiday sheet and data table to Power BI Desktop.

Secondly, create a calendar table using calendar() function, create relationship between data  table and calendar table using date field, and create relationship between Federal Holiday table and calendar table using date field, here is an example for you.
1.PNG

Thirdly, create the following calculated columns in the calendar table.

WeekDay = WEEKDAY('Calendar'[Date])
Holiday = RELATED('Federal Holiday'[Holiday])
If work day = IF(OR('Calendar'[WeekDay]=1,'Calendar'[WeekDay]=7),0,IF(ISBLANK('Calendar'[Holiday]),1,0))
Rank = RANKX(FILTER('Calendar','Calendar'[If work day]=1),'Calendar'[Date],,ASC)
Add 3 businss days = LOOKUPVALUE('Calendar'[Date],'Calendar'[If work day],1,'Calendar'[Rank],'Calendar'[Rank]+3)
2.PNG

At last, create a calculated column using the following DAX in your data table.

Column = RELATED('Calendar'[Add 3 businss days])
3.PNG

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Funk-E-Guy
Helper II
Helper II

The simplest way I found to calculate this without considering holidays (only weekends) is to use a SWITCH function on WEEKDAY of the date:

[Date] + SWITCH(WEEKDAY([Date]), 1, 3, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5, 5, 5, 6, 5, 7, 4)

What this does is:

• Sun → Wed (+3)
  • Mon → Thur (+3)
  • Tue → Fri (+3)
  • Wed → Next Mon (+5)
  • Thur → Next Tue (+5)
  • Fri → Next Wed (+5)
  • Sat → Next Wed (+4)
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been looking for a Formular equal to Excels <=WORKDAY(start_date, days, [holidays])>, maybe that would be the Solution:

// FnWorkingDays 
/*
@Startdate type DATE
@NumOfDays  type INT // negative counts back
@HDays     type Table, 
*/

let FnWorkingDays = (StartDate as date, NumOfDays as number, optional Holidays as table) as date =>

let
  // get Holidays from Table
  ListOfHolidays = if Holidays = null then {} else Table.Column(Holidays,"ColumnNameFromHolydayTable"),
  // Convert Dates into Numbers for Quiker Search
  NumListOfHolidays = List.Transform(ListOfHolidays ,each Number.From(_)),
  // Define the Direction of Count, Negativ: Backwards
  AddDayDirection = if NumOfDays<0 then -1 else 1,
  // make NumOfDays Absolute for Count
  NumOfDaysAbs = Number.Abs(NumOfDays),
  // generate a Datelist with to many dates
  GenerateListDates = List.Dates( StartDate, NumOfDaysAbs*3, #duration(1*AddDayDirection,0,0,0)),
  // Select all none Weendend dates
  ListDatesNoWeekend = List.Select(GenerateListDates,(_)=>Date.DayOfWeek(_, Day.Monday) < 5),
  // Select all none Holydaydates
  ListDatesNoHoliday = List.Select(ListDatesNoWeekend,(_)=>List.PositionOf(NumListOfHolidays,Number.From(_))=-1),
  // Pick the NumOfDays + 1 from list
  ListDates = List.LastN(List.FirstN(ListDatesNoHoliday,NumOfDaysAbs+1),1),
  // Output last Date
  outputDate = ListDates{0}
in
  outputDate
in
  FnWorkingDays

My first attempt was to Build the Func. with List.Generate(), couldn´t to work Proberly.

I expect this Function has a Overhead Problem with to Many Records, therefor please comment 

Hi Steven, this function works well unless the StartDate is a Monday and you attempt to subtract 1 business day from it - it then just returns the StartDate value instead of the last business day.

tommuirwebb_0-1605545177806.png

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Eagles83,

Firstly, import your Federal Holiday sheet and data table to Power BI Desktop.

Secondly, create a calendar table using calendar() function, create relationship between data  table and calendar table using date field, and create relationship between Federal Holiday table and calendar table using date field, here is an example for you.
1.PNG

Thirdly, create the following calculated columns in the calendar table.

WeekDay = WEEKDAY('Calendar'[Date])
Holiday = RELATED('Federal Holiday'[Holiday])
If work day = IF(OR('Calendar'[WeekDay]=1,'Calendar'[WeekDay]=7),0,IF(ISBLANK('Calendar'[Holiday]),1,0))
Rank = RANKX(FILTER('Calendar','Calendar'[If work day]=1),'Calendar'[Date],,ASC)
Add 3 businss days = LOOKUPVALUE('Calendar'[Date],'Calendar'[If work day],1,'Calendar'[Rank],'Calendar'[Rank]+3)
2.PNG

At last, create a calculated column using the following DAX in your data table.

Column = RELATED('Calendar'[Add 3 businss days])
3.PNG

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

This was very helpful. Can you please clarify which 'Date' in your response represents my "DateX" in my question? I'm not sure if my DateX is the Date if the Fact Table for the Date in the Calendar table.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's possible to calculate workdays without a Date table with the following Measure or Calculated Column in DAX:

Workdays Calculated =
    //the work days don't consider Saturdays and Sundays

//calculate the number of days between the dates, and adds 1
    VAR numDays = DATEDIFF([Start Date], [End Date], DAY) + 1
    //verifies the week numbers of each date
    VAR weekNumStart = WEEKNUM([Start Date])
    VAR weekNumEnd = WEEKNUM([End Date])
    //calculates the number of weekends existing between dates
    VAR numWeekends = IF(
        weekNumStart <= weekNumEnd, //weeks in same year
        weekNumEnd - weekNumStart, //the difference is the number of weekends
        weekNumEnd - weekNumStart + 52 //if different years, adds the number of weeks in one year
    )
RETURN
    numDays - (numWeekends * 2) //calculates the number of days (*2 to remove Saturday and Sunday for each weekend)

I get an error at Step 3 saying Expression.Error: The name 'WEEKDAY' wasn't recognized. Make sure it's spelled correctly. 

Is WeekDay a dax formula or do I need to add a WeekDay table?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.