Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gm
Frequent Visitor

Volume-price-mix variance (VPM, PQM, PVM)

Hi All,

I have two datasets including sales volume and revenue data per product per customer per month. I can calculate volume, price and mix variances within the revenue but cannot put those impacts at the same time on a waterfall chart (only one of them at one time or the total revenue variance per brand or customer). Can you please advise how to visualise VPM variance on the same waterfall?

Thanks a lot!

10 REPLIES 10
gm
Frequent Visitor

Dear @CheenuSing and @v-qiuyu-msft,

I have created a sample which is available here: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=68552689798873198546 (simple xls file). Let me know if you prefer a different way to share.

This is not built to be dynamic but my chart needs to update when I select group of brands and/or customers (or total company). And later I will add the time dimension: variance per month, YTD, YTG, FY so ideally should be compatible with that as well.

Thanks for your time!

gm

CheenuSing
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @gm

Couple of questions.

The data you shared is very limited in scope. Can not understand how the different values are arrived at.

Appreciate if you can share the full data model, the expressions you have used to calculate the measures.

Are you doing direc query or import data approach for loading the source data into the model ?

Cheers

CheenuSing

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution and also give KUDOS !

Proud to be a Datanaut!
gm
Frequent Visitor

Hi @CheenuSing,

I will create a bigger sample but due to christmas I have limited time. Will get back in a few days max.

How can I share such a dataset most effectively?

Thx,

Gabor

CheenuSing
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @gm

You can share the data in one drive and share the link. Also share the data model, pbix file and expressions used for measures .

Cheers

CheenuSing

Proud to be a Datanaut!
gm
Frequent Visitor

Hi @CheenuSing & @v-qiuyu-msft

Please check these: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=44002569142856624791 & http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=56374514096896120691

(my One Drive is restricted)

The volume / price / mix effect charts should be combined into one chart showing V/P/M effects for selected brands and/or customers dynamically (and of course totalling to total sales difference). Any solutions or necessary changes to how to organise data is more than welcome.

Thanks!

Hi @gm,

I'm not able to access and download the file, would you please upload the files to Dropbox and share the link here?

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
gm
Frequent Visitor

Hi All,

Anyone on the above?

Thanks a lot!

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gm,

It seems that you want to place the volume, price and mix variances in a column then place it in waterfall chart Category property, right?

If that is a case, you can take a look at my post in this thread: Waterfall challenge . It it doesn't meet your requirement, please share some sample data and desired results for our analysis.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
CheenuSing
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @gm

Please post some sample data and the actual visual you expect.

Cheers

CheenuSing

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.