Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

David3

Vlookup?

Hi everyone,

I am quite new to powerbi and trying to write a measure that would return the value from table 1 column 1 only if the value in table 1 column 2 matches the value in table 2 column 1. I tried vlookup but it seems like I cant pass an entire column into it as value. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
dilumd
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi 

Power BI works in a different way! there is no VLOOKUP in DAX (Power BI language) instead you can use relate command to relate two tables and then you can use relate or relatetable function to grab values from your other table.

Power BI offers free training course for beginners which is really good and it will not take much time to complete. Please follow the below link for the same.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/guided-learning/powerbi-learning-0-0-what-is-power-bi/

View solution in original post

@David3

There's no VLOOKUP function in DAX. However, you can use LOOKUPVALUE(), or use RELATED() in CALCULATE function to achieve your goal for same scenario using VLOOKUP.

Please refer to articles below:

VLOOKUP Functionality in Power Pivot 

Equivalent of VLOOKUP in DAX–Part I

Equivalent of VLOOKUP in DAX – Part II – using TOPN

Regards,

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
nayan28apr
Helper I
Helper I

Yes, its available in dax and can be used in measure.

LOOKUPVALUE(Table Column from which value need to be returned, match column for values, pass value)

This is cool!

dilumd
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi 

Power BI works in a different way! there is no VLOOKUP in DAX (Power BI language) instead you can use relate command to relate two tables and then you can use relate or relatetable function to grab values from your other table.

Power BI offers free training course for beginners which is really good and it will not take much time to complete. Please follow the below link for the same.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/guided-learning/powerbi-learning-0-0-what-is-power-bi/

David3

Hi everyone,

A very stupid question, I am quite new to Power BI and I am trying to write a simple measure. I have two tables and I want to look up and return a value in column 1 in table 1 where column 2 in table 1 matches a value from column 1 in table 2. I tried vlookup but it seems like I cant pass an entire column into it. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

@David3

There's no VLOOKUP function in DAX. However, you can use LOOKUPVALUE(), or use RELATED() in CALCULATE function to achieve your goal for same scenario using VLOOKUP.

Please refer to articles below:

VLOOKUP Functionality in Power Pivot 

Equivalent of VLOOKUP in DAX–Part I

Equivalent of VLOOKUP in DAX – Part II – using TOPN

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.