Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Lorraine
Helper I
Helper I

Vlookup in PowerBI?

Hi!

I'm working on a report that is combining a few different Salesforce objects, but creating a relationship in PowerBI is not giving me the results I need for one of the tables. 

In the incident report table, there's 3 columns that have a name entered for them. The name appears here as the reference id to the individual. Each individual has their own unique id, so for another report I can link the id from the report to the name from the student record and everything is fine. However, when I linked the id to the 3 name fields here, I'm not able to display the names for two of the fields. The "Name" from Student only shows the name for Student_Name__c. I also need the names of the inviduals from Student_Involved_2__c and Student_Involved_3__c to show in the table, but if I use those as values, only the reference id appears. I've attached 2 screenshots below:

powerbi.PNGpowerbi 2.PNG

Is there a way to create a column that will use the reference id as a lookup to have the name entered instead?

Thanks in advance for any help! 🙂

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

No vlookup, and thank goodness it's not required 🙂

What is going to help folks is a screen shots of your Relationships view on the main power bi window.

powerbi 3.PNGpowerbi 4.PNG

Here are two screenshots (Just realized two of those relationships can't be activated. Let me know what else helps. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ya, the error you see there is exactly right.   You can't have multiple active relationship paths between two tables.  So, if an incident report as StudentA, StudentB, and the ResidentAssistant Id's... only 1 of those will be "active"... and you will have to do a bit of extra work when writing measurs to "activate" them (via USERELATIONSHIP( ) api)

Sepearately, models tend to be easier to understand using just 1 to many relationships (which you have) and avoid bi-directional relationships (which you have 1 between student and incident report).

To get heading in the right direction, I would probably remove 2 of the relationships between student and incident report (leaving just the most important relationship).

Next step you can add back an inactive relationship and learn about USERELATIONSHIP to "activate" it... or you may end up duplicating your student table, so that you can have 2 active relationships (1 to each).

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.