Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sujaynadkarni
Frequent Visitor

Vlookup equivalent in Powerbi

Hello Folks -

This is going to be a long message but I want to be sure I explain the data model, objective and problem well.

I have two tables: Subject that has Subject ID, Name and User Id.  Second Table contains: User id and Name:

Subject Table

Subject IdLabelUser id
1HistoryA
1HistoryB
2GeographyA
2GeographyB
3MathC
3MathD

User

User IdName
AJoe
BJane
CJohn
DJim

I have two objectives - one is to find students enrolled in History, which I was able to do.  Second objective is to identify students NOT enrolled in History. If I filter Label is not "History", I will get User id A aka Joe.  But, as you can see Joe was enrolled in History.  I am sure there is a smarter way to do this but I did the following:

Added a conditional column on Subject Table with condition: If History, populate 1 or populate 2.  I then sorted the new column in ascending order.  

I then want to do add a column on the User object that is equivalent of a vlook up from Subject table.  Because vlook up finds the first value and the subject table was sorted, I should get 1 or 2 (enrolled in history or not).  When I try to use related function, I do not see "Subject" table.  Is it because "Subject" is on the many side of the relationship and how can I resolve this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
sujaynadkarni
Frequent Visitor

Ok.  I was able to resolve this using Minx and related table 🙂

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
sujaynadkarni
Frequent Visitor

Ok.  I was able to resolve this using Minx and related table 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.