Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Rince91
Helper I
Helper I

Vlookup between two tables?

Hi,

I have 2 tables:

1. DEVICE2M1BYCITYPE
  2. INCIDENTSM1

I would like to look up the AFFECTED_ITEM from the incidents table, match it to the LOGICAL_NAME in the device table and then return the ITO_SITE_POSTCODE for the matched item in the device table.

I have the below code however it is not working correctly. Am i using it right?

Column = lookupvalue(DEVICE2M1BYCITYPE[ITO_SITE_POSTCODE],DEVICE2M1BYCITYPE[LOGICAL_NAME],INCIDENTSM1[AFFECTED_ITEM])
5 REPLIES 5
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Rince91

What error occurs to you?

Could you share some screenshots about the data model among this columns and relationship between these two table?

From my experience, if column DEVICE2M1BYCITYPE[ITO_SITE_POSTCODE] or INCIDENTSM1[AFFECTED_ITEM]

has repetitive values, it may cause errors.

Best Regards

Maggie

Anonymous
Not applicable

the difference is that VLOOKUP only retrieves the first matching item. With a relationship you can get many matching items. This could be a problem because this could create new records if there is more than one that fullfill de the condition.

Javier

you can have more than one relationship between tables, one relationship will be active and other will be inactive, to use inactive relation in your measure use dax function userelationship and that will do the job.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

jthomson
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Why wouldn't you just use a relationship?

So i already have a relationship set up between these two tables on different values. I didnt think i could have more than one relationship between the same tables?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.