Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Milo17
Frequent Visitor

Visuals won't display when using date table

I'm new to Power BI, so this is probably a really dopey question-

I'm trying to create a report to show how my website traffic is performing. I have created a date table, using time data taken from GA, and a table for traffic, which includes a date column and session column, both taken from GA.

When I try and create a visual using 'Date'[Date] and 'Traffic'[Sessions], it will not display, but if I select the session and date columns both from the 'Traffic' table, it works. 

Is this likely to be a relationship issue between the Date and Traffic tables? The cardinality is many to 1 from Dates to Traffic, in a single direction. I tried changing this to 1 to many, but it says this isn't valid cardinality for this relationship.

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Milo17

It appears that you are connecting date to sessions instead of date. Try moving your relationship to date on both tables.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

Woohoo!

Thank you so much. I knew it would be something really simple. Smiley Embarassed

I have a lot to learn.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Milo17

Make sure you are populating the rows / axis from your date/calendar table and not from your fact tables. Also make sure all dates are included in the date table and that none are skipped. 

If those two things do not help, share a snip of your model and/or a sample of your data and we can help more.

@kcantor

Thank you for the reply. 

I am trying to populate the axis from the date calendar, but it won't display- this is my problem. It will display if I use the date that is in the fact table. 

All dates are included and both the date columns came from the same source, so should be identical, so I assume that if one is working it can't be an issue with skipped dates. Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Not sure that these snips will help much....

Thanks! 

kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Milo17

It appears that you are connecting date to sessions instead of date. Try moving your relationship to date on both tables.

Woohoo!

Thank you so much. I knew it would be something really simple. Smiley Embarassed

I have a lot to learn.

kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

I still need to learn a lot as well. The snips help though. Any time you post including them speeds up the process. Keep plugging away and give us a shout if you get stuck again.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.