Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

schiszleristvan
Frequent Visitor

Visuals value section is not available for numeric fields, only for measures

I have a complex modell with several tables imported from SQL server. I also use Tabular Editor to define calculation groups. I have just realized, that I can not add to the value section of any visual fields from the tables, only measures. The aggregation symbol is also missing in front of those fields. When I check in the Column section in PowerBI Desktop, everything seems OK, format is numeric, default aggregation is sum, however, I can not place the field to the values section. Strange thing is, that any visual defined previously works fine with the same fields that I can not use now for new visuals. Any idea what went wrong?

5 REPLIES 5
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@amitchandak 

Here is the screenshot (sorry, it is in Hungarian). You can see, that the selected column is in decimal format (tizedes tört), the default aggregation is sum (Összeg), but the Summa symbol is missing in front of the field name. If I drag this field into the desktop, than it will automatically generate a table (in the middle) with the individual values. If I change it to Card (left side), than aggregation works. If I create an empty card (right), than I can not drag the Amount field into it. If a change the table to a barchart, than the Amount is placed on the Axis, I can not move it to the Values section.

If I create a measure: Sum of Amount = sum ('Sales Invoice Line'[Amount]), than it works.

This behavior applies to the entire model, non of the numeric fields available for the Values sections. If I open another pbix, or import one of these table to an empty model, than everything works all right. 

image (1).png

@schiszleristvan 

Did you use Import or Direct Query mode for that your model? If you used direct query mode, change the summarization will not reflect to the model and visuals.

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@V-pazhen-msft 

The data are imported into the model.

schiszleristvan
Frequent Visitor

Additional information: if I place one of these fields on the desktop, than PowerBI will display all individual values in a table. If I modify this table to a Card, than the sum of those values are displayes correctly. However, if I first create a Card, than try to drag the same field into it, PowerBI will not let me to do it. Strange...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.