Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Visuals not updated in Power BI Desktop and Power BI Service

Hi all,

I have a report which contain two visuals, fed by tables created in Power Query (which have their source in a SQL Server database).

In the Power Query Editor, the data is up-to-date.

But in Power BI Desktop, the visuals are not updated until I have to click on the refresh button. Isn't there a way to make the actualization automatic on opening of the report?

In Power BI Service, it is worse. The visuals are not updated and when I click on the refresh button, nothing happen. It is like the Power Queries are frozen in time when I publish the report online.

It is very annoying since end-users have to have the freshest data possible, without having to click refresh everytime they open the report on top of that.

Thank you for your time and help !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous Loads of questions here. Is this import mode or DirectQuery? If import mode, until you refresh the data in the data model, your visuals will not update with new data because the new data doesn't exist in the data model just yet even if the preview data in Power Query Editor shows the correct data. If this is a DirectQuery mode, then you need to interact with the data somehow to cause visuals to recalculate/display although opening them initially should trigger that so I am thinking Import mode.

If we go with Import mode then the Service also makes sense. Hitting the "refresh" for a report is only designed to refresh the visuals from the existing data. You would need to refresh the dataset in the Service for the data model to have the updated data and therefore for the visuals to display the updated data.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

If your data is imported from a SQL Server database and you want to refresh the data at Power BI Service, you could refer to this link: Tutorial: Refresh data from an on-premises SQL Server database - Power BI | Microsoft Docs. For on-premises data sources, you need to install an on-premises data gateway

Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help other members find it.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous Loads of questions here. Is this import mode or DirectQuery? If import mode, until you refresh the data in the data model, your visuals will not update with new data because the new data doesn't exist in the data model just yet even if the preview data in Power Query Editor shows the correct data. If this is a DirectQuery mode, then you need to interact with the data somehow to cause visuals to recalculate/display although opening them initially should trigger that so I am thinking Import mode.

If we go with Import mode then the Service also makes sense. Hitting the "refresh" for a report is only designed to refresh the visuals from the existing data. You would need to refresh the dataset in the Service for the data model to have the updated data and therefore for the visuals to display the updated data.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.