Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Brennan

Visuals error when using CALCULATE function in a Measure

I have two tables, Headcounts and Time. In Headcounts, I have a time_id and in Time I have the time_id as a primary key that tells you the time in hour format (12 hours).

Ex) time_id of 1 has a time_12 of 7:00 AM

the 7:00 AM value is of type text. I am trying to make a function of CALCULATE(AVG(headcounts), 'Time'[time_12]) so that when I apply an hour filter to the visual it won't change my Measure. I am getting this error: MdxScript(Model) (7, 166) Claculation error in measure'headocunts'[AVG HC NO Filters]: Cannot convert value '7:00 AM' of type Text to type True/False

Why I am confused is if I use the time_id in the same table, the visual will show.

Thank you for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Brennan,

When you use CALCULATE function, you need to add a filter like CALCULATE(<expression>,<filter1>,<filter2>…). The filter must return the True/False to filter your table. You just use 'Time'[time_12], which can not return True/False value, so you got the error message. Please change your formula as follows, and check if it's the result you want.

measure=CALCULATE(AVG(headcounts), ALL('Time'[time_12]))

If you would not get the expected result, please share dummy data and list expected result for further analysis.

Thanks,
Angelia

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Brennan,

When you use CALCULATE function, you need to add a filter like CALCULATE(<expression>,<filter1>,<filter2>…). The filter must return the True/False to filter your table. You just use 'Time'[time_12], which can not return True/False value, so you got the error message. Please change your formula as follows, and check if it's the result you want.

measure=CALCULATE(AVG(headcounts), ALL('Time'[time_12]))

If you would not get the expected result, please share dummy data and list expected result for further analysis.

Thanks,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.