Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Smauro
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Visuals displaying wrong time on X-axis

Hello all,

So, today (or at least today is the day I noticed) for some reason, my graphs show the wrong date on the X-axis. Whereas the values are, for example, August, it states september on the X-axis but on hover-up it does say August.
Incorrect Date on X-axisE4IdRh34cpxoy1
The only filters applied are a relative date filtering for the last year.

Any idea why that is?

Feel free to connect with me:
LinkedIn

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Smauro

I’ve got response from the Product Team.

By design. The Scalar axis is continuous/linear, and is automatically choosing best intervals. Monthly intervals are chosen, and default to 1st of the month. Imagine a scalar numeric axis - 10, 20, 30 are fine, you wouldn't expect 19, 29, 39 to be your value axis labels right? The Aug 31th column is plotted a few pixels left of the Sep 1st axis label in the repro screenshot.

Best Regards,
Herbert

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
vallemedef

Hi, 

I met this behaviour today and, luckly, was able to solve it, at least for my case.

I use following calculated column and use it for x-axis:
MMM YY = EOMONTH('Calendar'[Date],0)
And as result I got following chart:

vallemedef_1-1704972795711.png

As you can see there are wrong labels on it.

Changing the dates from End of Month to Begin of Month helped me here:
MMM YY = EOMONTH('Calendar'[Date],-1)+1

vallemedef_0-1704972777695.png

Mycall65
Frequent Visitor

Any news on this?

My graph is still showing the same issue, now 31st March 2023

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@Smauro

I cannot repro the same issue on version 2.51.4885.841 64-bit (October 2017) of PBI Desktop? Could you please make sure that you're using the latest one? If issue persists, could you please share your PBIX file which can be used to repro, so that I can have a try on my side.

Visuals displaying wrong time on X-axis _1.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert

Hey @v-haibl-msft . I just checked and I have exactly the same version. The problem still persists however. I should mention that the Date axis is monthly (one date per month) and not daily. Could this be the reason why PowerBI gets confused?

I did it like that because I found graphing last x month with hierachy was almost impossible.. Always showing like that 2017-11-06 12_37_47-ALLtickets_Empty - Power BI Desktop.png

(yes, I have no idea why 2017 December is even displayed in that one).

So, back to the first issue. Do you think it may be a fault of the Month grouping? Should I try with a separate calendar?

EDIT: Oh, I should mention as well that my filters are not slicers, they are page lever report filters. I don't know if this should make a difference, it shouldn't..

EDIT2: So, I've found the reason. I had transformed the MonthOpen column to DateEndOfMonth so I could compute some monthly backlogs, and even if the value is, for example, 31/Oct/2017 the graph will put it close to the "continuous" November, hence all graphs end up showing this way.

LinkedIn

Another work-around is to set the X-Axis type to Categorical instead of Continuous

@Smauro

I just tired to add a DateEndOfMonth column and drag it into the chart. But I'm still not able to repro the same issue on my side. Could you please share a sample PBIX file which can be used to repro through online file service like OneDrive (You can use dummy data to create the report)?

Best Regards,
Herbert

Hi again @v-haibl-msft

I managed to strip down some data and the problem reappeared. The reproduction was easy: 1)have a datetime column, 2)add new transforming it to day, 3)add new transforming it to endofmonth. (All via queries) 2017-11-07 09_56_27-Untitled - Power BI Desktop.png

Is filebin ok? https://filebin.ca/3gSJCrYni915/testpowerbi.pbix

LinkedIn

@Smauro

I’ve got response from the Product Team.

By design. The Scalar axis is continuous/linear, and is automatically choosing best intervals. Monthly intervals are chosen, and default to 1st of the month. Imagine a scalar numeric axis - 10, 20, 30 are fine, you wouldn't expect 19, 29, 39 to be your value axis labels right? The Aug 31th column is plotted a few pixels left of the Sep 1st axis label in the repro screenshot.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Thank you @v-haibl-msft ! 🙂

I had already thought of that, and I did a workaround by finally making all my graphs either dependant on a separate Calendar or with a new column with the start of the month. All good in the end! Thanks again!

LinkedIn

@Smauro

Thanks for your PBIX file. I’ve reported it internally to Power BI Team: CRI 51216807
I’ll post here once I get any update about it.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.