Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Devildogtevor

Visualizing data slicer with layered data (i.e. parent/child relationships)

I am having a parent child relationship problem with my visualizer.  I am a noob so I am not sure if this is simply creating a new column in my data for grouping or if it will require a DAX formula, (which I am still getting used to).  Anyway, my data is as follows:

Employee Name

Report To (supervisor)

Expense Type

Expense Amount

Scenario:  

John and Jane employee report to Mike supervisor

Jack and Jill employee report to Sally supervisor

Mike and Sally report to Steve manager

Currently my visual is expense amount by employee, however I have 3 slicers,  1 is "report to", (so I can view a whole management team), 1 is "employee", and  the last 1 is "expense type: ie, airfare, hotel, meals.

Problem 1: When I choose a supervisor my visualizer shows the employee data but does not include the supervisor.

Problem 2: The visualizer only goes down 1 level, when I pick Steve Manager, I only see the data for Mike and Sally supervisor, the employees are not included but I would like them to be.  

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Devildogtevor,

Scenario:  

John and Jane employee report to Mike supervisor

Jack and Jill employee report to Sally supervisor

Mike and Sally report to Steve manager 

I'm still a little confused about your sceanrio.

If it is convenient, could you share some data sample which could reproduce your scenario so that I can understand it better and help further on it.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Below is an org chart with some sample data. 

The first issue I have is when I select my Slicer 1 (report to) on Sally, I get the expense amount only of 120 (Jack and Jills expenses) but I want it to include Sallys too, so the amount returned should be 620 (the slicer selection and their direct reports).

The second issue is when I select my Slicer 1 (report to) on Steve, I get the expense amount of 500 (Sallys expense only as Mike has none), none of the layers below the direct reports are included.  As such, I want it to include himself (problem 1) and ALL the layers below him in the org chart (problem 2) so it should be 1270, the direct reports and all the subordinate layers.

I hope I explained that well enough, I am sure this is an easy BI task, I just havent figured it out yet. 

2018-11-27_7-48-49.jpg

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.