Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mkumetat
Regular Visitor

Visualize data from answer scale

Hello everyone,

I am an absolute beginner in Power Bi, so please bear with me if my question seems simple. I am trying to visualize the following:

I have a survey where training participants self-assess their level of learning for various topics. My dataset looks something like this:

Table data.PNG

Now, I am trying to visualize this data in a way where Power BI "counts" the number for each answer category (from "Strongly Agree" to Strongly Disagree"). There are several possible visualizations I have in mind that I could use, once I know how to get this counted result (e.g. a pie chart for each column, a stacked bar chart, etc.). Another way that would look good would be a tornado chart:
Tornado chart.jpg

I know how to get the intended results in Excel, using formulas, etc., but I fail trying to recreate the same in Power BI. I think there might be a way achieving this using a matrix and/or pivot table in Power BI (and I did some Google research and in search in this forum), but so far I failed.

Please let me know if you need any additional information to answer my question, or in case you would want me to upload a sample database or pbix file.

Thanks,

Marvin

1 REPLY 1
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @mkumetat 

For your case, I think the best way is Unpivot the basic query in Edit Queries.

Then use custom visual: Tornado chart in the report for it.

If you need further help, please share a sample database with excel and pbix file

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.