Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Visualize Parent and Child Information in one table

Hi all,

I'm new to Power BI and I need some help figuring out how to make the table I want. I've done a search on this forum but couldn't find what I needed. Possibly I'm not using the correct search terms as I'm not sure what the name is of what I want to do.

Let's first note the tables that I have: (they are just examples)

Table one: Parents

ParentIDBandwidthContractLineIDGeografie
110 MbCONL.1Nat
220 MbCONL.2Nat

Table two: Children

ChildIDParentIDBandwidthContractLineID
3110 MBCONL.3
4110 MbCONL.4
5210 MbCONL.5
6220 MbCONL.6

Now I want to make a table visual which combines the information from these two table like so:

ParentIDChildIDBandwidthGeographyContractLineID
1 10 MBNatCONL.1
 310 Mb CONL.3
 410 Mb CONL.4
2 20 MbNatCONL.2
 510 Mb CONL.5
 620 Mb CONL.6

In other words, I want to show the parent and its information and then on the next line(s) i want to show the children with their information. If the columns names are the same (as with Bandwidth) I want to show them in the same column in the resulting table, but if they are different they need to go in different columns. In all cases I want to denote the information from the parent or the child and not an aggregation. (With a matrix it fills in the geography for all children as well, for example, which is not what I want. Especially not for the column Bandwidth as there can be important differences)

Sidenote: It would be even better if I could indicate which columns should be combined into one column and which not as I will sometimes have a column that is named PriceX in the first table and PriceY in the second table. (I can work around this though, if need be).

I've been looking at hierarchies and matrices but I can't figure out how to do what I want.

Can someone point me into the right direction?

If you need more information I'd be happy to provide it.

Thanks a lot!

1 REPLY 1
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

Hello @Anonymous 

Take a look at this demo from the team at SQLBI.

https://www.sqlbi.com/tv/hierarchies-in-dax/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.