Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

codyraptor
Resolver I
Resolver I

Visualization Total function is not correct...need help

I have a simple matrix visualization.  My value is a distinct count Dispatch.  The individual rows are accurate...but the sum of the column is losing values for some reason.  Example shown below.  If I total the column..it should be 75,128...not 72,818.  I'm using the simple 'Total' function.  Is this a bug..or could it be something with my data.  I'm lost on this one.

Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

If it's a distinct count, it may be that some of whatever column you're counting is counted in more than one of the Days Developed rows. The Total row isn't simply a sum of all the rows above; it's a calculation of the base formula for all rows.

Take this data for example:

codename
furnaceBucky
seventeenWanda
nineJames
furnaceScott
daybreakSteve
benignWanda
benignBucky
freight carClint
seventeenNatasha
daybreakNatasha
benignClint
rustedNatasha
daybreakBucky
freight carJames
freight carSteve
longingSteve
nineWanda
benignPeter
benignT'Challa
daybreakPeter
furnaceSteve
furnaceWanda
oneClint
rustedScott
rustedSam
daybreakJames
oneJames
freight carClint
longingBucky
seventeenT'Challa

My sample table is bigger than this but you get the idea. There are 11 names and 10 code words. The 10 words are distributed such that each name and each code appear together at least once. If I lay out the names with a distinct count of codes I get this:

DistinctTotal.PNG

Clearly that total is wrong if you just try to add 10 + 10 + 10 + 10 + 10 + 10 + 10 + 10 + 10 + 10 + 10, but a distinct count total isn't a sum of its parts. It's a distinct count of all, without the filtering contexts of the rows above. There are 10 code words, so a total distinct count is 10. In your data, I suspect there are a total of 72,818 distinct items to be counted, and some of them can be counted for more than one Days Developed value.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

If it's a distinct count, it may be that some of whatever column you're counting is counted in more than one of the Days Developed rows. The Total row isn't simply a sum of all the rows above; it's a calculation of the base formula for all rows.

Take this data for example:

codename
furnaceBucky
seventeenWanda
nineJames
furnaceScott
daybreakSteve
benignWanda
benignBucky
freight carClint
seventeenNatasha
daybreakNatasha
benignClint
rustedNatasha
daybreakBucky
freight carJames
freight carSteve
longingSteve
nineWanda
benignPeter
benignT'Challa
daybreakPeter
furnaceSteve
furnaceWanda
oneClint
rustedScott
rustedSam
daybreakJames
oneJames
freight carClint
longingBucky
seventeenT'Challa

My sample table is bigger than this but you get the idea. There are 11 names and 10 code words. The 10 words are distributed such that each name and each code appear together at least once. If I lay out the names with a distinct count of codes I get this:

DistinctTotal.PNG

Clearly that total is wrong if you just try to add 10 + 10 + 10 + 10 + 10 + 10 + 10 + 10 + 10 + 10 + 10, but a distinct count total isn't a sum of its parts. It's a distinct count of all, without the filtering contexts of the rows above. There are 10 code words, so a total distinct count is 10. In your data, I suspect there are a total of 72,818 distinct items to be counted, and some of them can be counted for more than one Days Developed value.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.