Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Visualising multiple choice answers from MS Forms

Disclaimer: Although there are similar sounding threads already in existence the closest answer I have found to my problem is here but this involves going in and adding columns and 'if' statements to the raw data which in my case would take a very very long time.

I have some downloaded data from an MS Forms survey which puts each respondent's answer per question in a single cell with a semicolon between multiple choice answered questions. eg.

Respondent

Question 26 (three possible answers A,B,C where the respondent can pick multiple)

1A
2A;B
3A;B;C

C

A;C

For some questions I have over 250 different options for the respondent to pick between so you can imagine the variation in responses!

Currently I can only plot the answers per each specific combination rather than the total number of respondents who picked "A" as part of their answer for example. See image here. Is anyone able to help me plot this?

Many thanks for your help in advance - I really appreciate it!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Looks like you can (in Power Query), split the column by delimiter (;), then select the Respondent column and choose 'Unpivot other columns'.  That'll give you a table with 3 columns.

You'll then be able to put 'Count of Respondent' and Value on a clustered column chart

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Looks like you can (in Power Query), split the column by delimiter (;), then select the Respondent column and choose 'Unpivot other columns'.  That'll give you a table with 3 columns.

You'll then be able to put 'Count of Respondent' and Value on a clustered column chart

Anonymous
Not applicable

That worked perfectly - thank you 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.