Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

grggmrtn
Post Patron
Post Patron

Visualisations and the danish alphabet

Power BI is pretty good at figuring out the alphabet. Sound simple, I know, but in Danish, "A" is at the beginning of the alphabet, and "Aa" is at the end (because "Aa" is the archaic form of "Å").

In table visualisations Power BI knows this, and that makes me happy. An alphabetical list of first names should for example look like this:

Anne
Antje
Birtha
Flemming
Mikael
Preben
Vinni
Aase

Unfortunately, I need to use the "As timeline" visualisation from the marketplace, and it's putting all names starting with "Aa" at the beginning. Big no-no.

So - is there anything I can do with the data to "force" the visualisation to behave? Or in the worst case, make the table visualisation behave (badly) like the "as timeline" visualisation? I just need the lists produced in both visualisations to match.

5 REPLIES 5
adityavighne
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@grggmrtn 

why don't you change power BI desktop local language to English (Germany) this may resolve the issue.

land.PNG

The locale is already set to Danish, so that's not the problem. The problem is that the visualisation ("As Timeline") is sorting the names in English, no matter what I do.

I ended up sorting the names "the bad way" - creating a sorting column ( ...if Text.StartsWith([Name], "A") then 1, else...) and made "Aa" = 0, which puts that in the beginning in my table when I sort [Name] by [Sorting].

Not the ideal fix, but at least the "mistake" is consistent?

@grggmrtn 

check what data you have uploaded.

your data have that character or not.

Yes my data has the name "Aase" several times. Otherwise I wouldn't have noticed the problem 😉

@grggmrtn 

why don't you sort this column

sort.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.