Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tdmkps
Frequent Visitor

Visualisation cannot show Text column without Aggregate

Hi guys,

I've been playing around with PowerBI for a month or so and have a hit a real brickwall with connecting to our on-Premise Dynamics CRM.

I have 3 tables Opportunity, Contact and Biography ( a custom entity for storing different text notes).

image.png

All three tables are connecting by the CRM standard ContactID field. On my visualisations I am trying to pull information about the opportunity (Estimated Value, status), the contact (net worth) and the related Biography notes. It works absolutely fine between contact and opportunity but the moment I add the Notes field from Biography it errors

image.pngimage.png

Interestingly, if I set the textfield (Biog) to first/last aggregation it sort of works in that the table comes back but it's all the same note.

I have been able to accomplish this in SSRS without issue by using =lookup(fields!contactid.Value,fields!new_contact.Value, fields!new_notes.Value, "biography") so I tried  LOOKUPVALUES expression in DAX but that errors out saying a single table of values was expected but multiple supplied. I've tried changing the cross filtering and whether it is 1:n, N:1 or 1:1 and nothing seems to work. 

It is fair to note that there will be duplicates of the contactID in the Biography table because there are multiple notes that can be applied to a single contact or account. If you need anything more please feel free to ask as I'm tearing my hair out!

1 REPLY 1
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tdmkps

In this scenario, the filter context will then be lost when going from opportunity to Biography for there are many duplicates values for the main key columns.

If you want to use columns from Biography with columns in opportunity, you need to use these columns within some functions, like sum, max, ect.

If you only want to display all values from the related table, you need determine how the duplicates values in that columns should be related, then use the function, like crossjoin, union, to join the two tables together.

This article discuss about many to many relationship using dax, also this thread share some ideas of handling many to many relationship in powre bi.

Best Regards

Maggie

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.