Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

edhans
Super User
Super User

Visual to display data as a form?

I would like to display data like it was in a form. The MultiCard visual would work except I cannot figure out a way to control column widths and the number of columns. I would want it preferably to show with the field name and field value next to it. This would be for a drill through, so it would only show one item. Below is how it might look. This is just a transposed Power Query for demonstration purposes. I cannot use that though as there is no way to link the data in a relationship to my real table, and you can only transpose a certian amount of records anyway.

I can kind of hack a matrix to work by putting the Item Number in the row, then everything else in the Values, then show Values on Rows, but for text fields, instead of showing "UPC Number" for example, it shows "FirstofUPC Number" as the description, which just looks bad.

I've been unable to find a card/visual that will do what I want. By doing it as a true visual and not a hacked-up matrix, I may be able to use it as a tooltip report as well.

Any ideas?

2019-12-08 08_07_43-Untitled - Power Query Editor.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks. Actually, I figured it out. Just needed to mull it over. The answer is:

1. Create a reference to the original data
  2. Select the key column (Item Number in this case)
  3. Unpivot All Other columns
  4. Load the data and create the relationship.

It is actually a few more steps than that to cause it to sort properly vs alphabetically in DAX, but it works. The ToolTip report works as well, but is a bit less useful than I had originally thought due to the size restriction. I may still use it, but with the more common fields perhaps.

2019-12-08 15_56_33-Showing Info in a List or Form format - Power BI Desktop.png

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hi @edhans 

Maybe you can use the PowerApp visual?

If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.

Please give Kudos for support.

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.

Marcus Wegener works as Full Stack Power BI Engineer at BI or DIE.
His mission is clear: "Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website - podcast

I'll have to look at that. I also had some ideas this afternoon about unpivoting and/or pivoting data in PQ then bringing that in. I'll have to look at the Power Apps license requirements too. Data is in an on-prem SQL server and that requires a P1 or higher license. Don't want to have to buy that for PBI users.

Hi @edhans ,

Maybe this is an alternative solution.

Generate an HTML Document and display it over the HTML Viewer.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/HTML-viewer-to-show-filter-selections/m-p/639676/highlight/...

If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.

Marcus Wegener works as Full Stack Power BI Engineer at BI or DIE.
His mission is clear: "Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website - podcast

Thanks. Actually, I figured it out. Just needed to mull it over. The answer is:

1. Create a reference to the original data
  2. Select the key column (Item Number in this case)
  3. Unpivot All Other columns
  4. Load the data and create the relationship.

It is actually a few more steps than that to cause it to sort properly vs alphabetically in DAX, but it works. The ToolTip report works as well, but is a bit less useful than I had originally thought due to the size restriction. I may still use it, but with the more common fields perhaps.

2019-12-08 15_56_33-Showing Info in a List or Form format - Power BI Desktop.png

Could you please elaborate on the steps to create this 'form view' for one record's data?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.