Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AlB
Super User
Super User

Visual showing more dates than available in column

Hi there,

I have a simple scenario (see pbix here😞  

1. Tables: a one-column CalendarTable with the first ten days of 2015

2. Matrix visual with CalendarTable[Date] in rows

3. CalendarTable[Date] in a slicer

On the [Date] fields in rows of the matrix, under the "fields" pane in visualizations (see capture), I can choose to show 'Date' or 'Date hierarchy'

If I choose 'Date', the matrix shows the ten days available in CalendarTable[Date]. However, if I choose 'Date hierarchy', the matrix shows all days in 2015, even though CalendarTable[Date] only has ten days.  It is also unaffected by the slicer

Is this the normal behavior? Can this be changed to show only the ten days in CalendarTable[Date]?

Many thanks        

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks @LivioLanzo

I tried marking it as Date table and the hierarchy that had earlier been created automatically has disappeared. Now I'm back to the option where I selected Date in the filed menu as opposed to Date hierarchy (since this doesn't exist any more). It works normally now, showing only the dates in the column instead f the full year and responding to the slicer.  Any idea about why this change after marking the table as Date? What happens exactly when you do that?

What do you mean by the " 'default' Date table"?  What do you use instead?

Thanks

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
LivioLanzo
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

I think this has to do with the Hierarchies that Power BI creates behind the scenes when a Data table has not been marked as a 'Date Table'.  But as you say when you click on Jan 6th I would still expect it to filter just this single day. 

The best approach in my opinion is that of creating our own Date table, marking it as a Date Table and adding our own hierarchies. Personally I never use the 'default' Date table

Did I answer your question correctly? Mark my answer as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

Thanks @LivioLanzo

I tried marking it as Date table and the hierarchy that had earlier been created automatically has disappeared. Now I'm back to the option where I selected Date in the filed menu as opposed to Date hierarchy (since this doesn't exist any more). It works normally now, showing only the dates in the column instead f the full year and responding to the slicer.  Any idea about why this change after marking the table as Date? What happens exactly when you do that?

What do you mean by the " 'default' Date table"?  What do you use instead?

Thanks

Hi @AlB

By default Date Table I meant the one that Power BI automatically creates when you do not mark it as a 'Date Table'

Here is the documentation info: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-date-tables

Did I answer your question correctly? Mark my answer as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

Cool. Thanks @LivioLanzo. I'll have a look at the documentation

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.