Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CatalystHealth
Frequent Visitor

Visual showing 3 x 3 grid of performance and potential from a single row with multiple columns

I'm trying to figure out how to render a 3 x 3 (9 block grid) to show performance and potential.

The data source is a single row with 9 columns.  Key to the situation is that the data is coming as a CSV in rows and it would be very difficult to change the structure of the source data.  The 9 columns have headings A to I and I want to be able to allocate the values to the boxes with the corresponding letters.

In the above example the value for A (1) would go into Low/Low, B (2) into Medium (x axis) Low (y axis) and so on.

Therefore the result would look like this:

What is the best way to achieve this?

I thought I might be able to use a table or matrix but have been unsuccessful.

The solution posted here is similar however I don't see how it will work with how my data is formatted.

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Showing-multiple-text-values-in-a-matrix/td-p/169919

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OK, here is what I did. First, in the query, unpivot all of your columns:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUTICYmMgNgFiUyA2A2JzILYAYkul2FgA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [A = _t, B = _t, C = _t, D = _t, E = _t, F = _t, G = _t, H = _t, I = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"A", Int64.Type}, {"B", Int64.Type}, {"C", Int64.Type}, {"D", Int64.Type}, {"E", Int64.Type}, {"F", Int64.Type}, {"G", Int64.Type}, {"H", Int64.Type}, {"I", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Changed Type", {}, "Attribute", "Value")
in
    #"Unpivoted Columns"

Then, add this calculated column:

Rank = RANKX(Ranking,Ranking[Value])

Then, put this together using lines and text boxes and card visualizations. Filter each visualization to the specific rank value that you want in that box.

matrix.png

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Just confirming, which columns go in which boxes in the matrix is dependent upon their values, correct?

Latest book!:

The values in the row, for each Column, would be mapped to the corresponding spot in the matrix as per following image:

So yes, the matrix is dependent on the values.   No calculations are required, it's just displaying the values in the appropriate location.

The labels on the X axis represent 'Performance' and the labels on the Y axis represent 'Potential'.

OK, here is what I did. First, in the query, unpivot all of your columns:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUTICYmMgNgFiUyA2A2JzILYAYkul2FgA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [A = _t, B = _t, C = _t, D = _t, E = _t, F = _t, G = _t, H = _t, I = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"A", Int64.Type}, {"B", Int64.Type}, {"C", Int64.Type}, {"D", Int64.Type}, {"E", Int64.Type}, {"F", Int64.Type}, {"G", Int64.Type}, {"H", Int64.Type}, {"I", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Changed Type", {}, "Attribute", "Value")
in
    #"Unpivoted Columns"

Then, add this calculated column:

Rank = RANKX(Ranking,Ranking[Value])

Then, put this together using lines and text boxes and card visualizations. Filter each visualization to the specific rank value that you want in that box.

matrix.png

Latest book!:

Thanks so much Smoupre.

I think the solution I need is as simple as creating the grid using Cards and assigning each Columns value to that card.  A very simple and effective approach; I'm new to Power BI so wasn't aware of how simple it could be!

I'll have a look at implementing and call on further help if required.

FYI - in the example I provided the ordering of numerical values is not important (as in I don't need to place onto the grid in any sort of rank).  What's important is that the value from Column A is placed in the A location on the grid, the value from Column B is place in the B location on the grid, and so on...  As I understand, I can achieve this by creating Cards for A -> I and just mapping the appropriate columns to each Card.  As such, I don't believe I need to use the approach in your latest example which unpivots the columns and then uses RANKX.

You could always use a RANKX to rank them and then do 9 card visualizations, each filtered to the correct rank. Couple that with a few lines and some text and you should have what you want.

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.