Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

andrecavaca
Frequent Visitor

Visual level filtering for slicers

I have a large set of options from which I would like to pick some specific ones and use them in a slicer to filter my data.

Why Is it not possible to add a Visual level filter for a slicer when this is an option for other chart types?

I'm currently using a 100% stacked column chart as a workaround.

Thanks,

Andre

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
austinsense
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

There is a hack for this ...

1. turn the visual into a bar chart

2. apply the visual level filter

3. turn the visual back into a slicer

Austin is VP Operations at PowerPivotPro and a professional self-service enthusiast 🙂

View solution in original post

54 REPLIES 54

@shds @Sreekanth @Anonymous @Anonymous A couple ideas here. One, go vote for this feature on one of these "Ideas"

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/12545673-visual-level-filtering-in-slicers

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/15091614-can-no-longer-filter-a-slicer

And in the meantime there is a great blog by Reza Rad here that gives you the alternative means to get filtered slicers. It's just a much longer road than click format, set filter 🙂

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

This is "kind of" related to these Slicer Ideas too

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/17267612-slider-slicer-for-values

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/17620606-numeric-slider

In Oct 2016 we got the Date Slider in a Slicer containing a Date

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-october-feature-summary/preview/#dateSlice...

In PowerView in Excel that Slider exists even for Numbers and numeric Measures

That Slider will in effect act as a Filter - between, less than, more than - for Numbers/Amounts (not just dates)

Numeric Slider in a Slicer.png

Thanks for the additional info @Sean. My use case that I have, and was thinking of, was just removing certian values from the dropdown. We used to be able to do this by starting as a table visual, adding filters, then changing it to a slicer. It was a hack, but it worked for one-off, and not relevant values for a particular slicer.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Yes I remeber we used that hack for the "non-existent" Blank in a Slicer Smiley Happy

I agree we shouldn't have to go thru that many steps to filter certain values.

The Slider as we've seen in a Date Slicer works great - it would be the same with numbers/amounts!

However I understand if the values are not numeric or dates

you have no use for this Slider option and I agree they should let us use the Visual Level Filters.

I really hope they implement both! Smiley Happy

Plus ALL other Ideas that have thousands of votes and we've waited patiently for...

Bumping this thread with support for the need to apply visual-level filters to slicers.  The lack of this feature costs our office extra time each day we have to create an overly complicated work-around to achieve this fairly simple objective.

This is a pretty big must-have for our organization. Have several visuals where we only want to expose a small portion of the values to a given audience, the inability to simply add a visual-level filter to the Slicer visual is severely decreasing our efficiency when creating these reports. This seems like it should be a simple option, but instead our report engineers are stuck resorting to work-arounds that rarely justify their effort required.

Please support this feature, cannot overstate how much time this simple fix would save our office.

I can't believe this feature doesn't exist, makes even the most simple of dashboards more difficult to navigate. This really needs to happen ASAP

kmccormick
Frequent Visitor

There is a cusom visualization called "Hierarchy Slicer" that has this functionality. You don't have to use the hierarchy aspect of the slicer if you don't need it, but the list filters down based on your other selections. This needs a permanent fix though, and I know there can be issues with custom visuals on mobile devices. 

https://app.powerbi.com/visuals/show/HierarchySlicer1458836712039

@kmccormick I tried to use a filter in the Hierarchy slicer, but for that's not possible. Did you really add a filter to that visual (the hierarchy slicer)?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any solutions to this? Am bumping up to this as an issue now...

@Anonymous I haven't heard of any on the visual end. You would have to deal with it in your model layer.

austinsense
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

There is a hack for this ...

1. turn the visual into a bar chart

2. apply the visual level filter

3. turn the visual back into a slicer

Austin is VP Operations at PowerPivotPro and a professional self-service enthusiast 🙂

This did not work for our report

I tried this and it did not work, is there any other solution to this question? 

Thank you in advance

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this no longer works in the latest version of Power BI.

me too have the same problem.

solved temporarily with created double slicer (one on the top of the other)

but sometimes this slicer doesn't work (there's blank option in the slicer)

so i have to re-publish from desktop version to eliminate the blank

and it happens quite frequent

so please, Microsoft, would you fix this?

this needs  fix - so annoying that basic capability does not even work, think I need to go back to Tableau....

i absolutely agree, please Microsoft, fix this asap.

This didn't work for me.  I wish that it did.  I am going to have to filter in the Cube.

This workaround no longer seems to be working. No official method available yet either. 

😞

@shds Correct, broken - no "fix" You would have to handle a "one-off" in your model if this was a unique slicer just for a page. You could do this using a calculated column to define your groups, or a seperate table. (just a couple examples, but both of them are a bit of excessive work for what should be a simple switch)

Even I have the same issue and could not use page filter as that limiting other numbers. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.