Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

andrecavaca
Frequent Visitor

Visual level filtering for slicers

I have a large set of options from which I would like to pick some specific ones and use them in a slicer to filter my data.

Why Is it not possible to add a Visual level filter for a slicer when this is an option for other chart types?

I'm currently using a 100% stacked column chart as a workaround.

Thanks,

Andre

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
austinsense
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

There is a hack for this ...

1. turn the visual into a bar chart

2. apply the visual level filter

3. turn the visual back into a slicer

Austin is VP Operations at PowerPivotPro and a professional self-service enthusiast 🙂

View solution in original post

54 REPLIES 54

@austinsense, Power BI Desktop June update kill this hack Smiley Sad

Anonymous
Not applicable

After the June release, the problem is back. Any solution for this now?

Anonymous
Not applicable

yea facing the same problem. I cannot add a visual level filter to slicer.

@Anonymous Can you be more specific? Do none of the "hack" ideas work for you?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

This trick doesn't work now anymore. Switching back to the slicer removes the visual filter that was applied to the table.

Any new suggestions?

Adoman
Frequent Visitor

Same here. We need also any suggestion how to solve this issue. Creating a new table is not applicable for us.

Thx

Anonymous
Not applicable

It worked your idea in the older version of PowerBI desktop. This idea is not working in new version.

@Anonymous Thanks for pointing this out... This is not good... Someone created this as an issue and it was pushed to ideas... vote up and make comments here. I will be, I've got a ton of reports that use this.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Greg_Deckler I'm using an Analysis Service connection which doesn't have those modelling capabilities (yet!)

@austinsense That's awesome! And works both with the out of the box slicer and the chiclet slicer custom chart! Thank you

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@andrecavaca - You should definitely post to Ideas, but why not just use Enter Data or another query to create a table with just the values you want, relate the two tables and use the second table as your slicer? Boom!

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I think the query is the better option so you can to some extent keep your filter list dynamic. You can either write a new query or use table measure to do that.
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Add your idea to the ideas section and let us know here so we can vote for it. Smiley Happy

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.