Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sumit4732 Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Visual level filtering for slicers

Hi,

There is a workaround to it: 

1. Create a copy of the slicer so you have two slicers on the page (let's call them "SL1" and "SL2")

2. On SL2, select the values you want to see appear in the actual slicer (this is NOT using the visual filter of the slicer, just select the values from the actual slicer)

3. SL1 will now be showing ONLY the values you have selected in SL2. 

4. With SL1 switch "ON" background and set transparency to 0%

5. reduce the size of SL2 to something smaller than SL1 and Drop it "behind" SL1 to hide it. 

This will get the work done.

Thanks @GregM for the edit 

Gerard Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Thanks @sumit4732  That worked... 

To be clearer for other users...

1. Create a copy of the slicer so you have two slicers on the page (lets call them "SL1" and "SL2")

2. On SL2, select the values you want to see appear in the actual slicer (this is NOT using the visual filter of the slicer, just select the values from the actual slicer)

3. SL1 will now be showing ONLY the values you have selected in SL2. 

4. With SL1 switch "ON" background and set transparency to 0%

5. reduce the size of SL2 to something smaller than SL1 and Drop it "behind" SL1 to hide it. 

Thanks again @sumit4732

Best Regards

Gerard

shirtzel Visitor
Visitor

I just went to the Ideas forum and upvoted as many posts as I could find that request this fix. This is so important! And it's so frustrating to see a Visual-level slicer on this visual, but not be able to use it!

In the meantime, I have a really hack-y workaround:

• Right click on your Field, and group together all the values you don't want to show up in your filter. Name this group something that will send it to the bottom of your list, alphabetically (such as Z-Past Performances)
  • Leave all the values you'd like to see in your slicer Ungrouped.
  • In your Filter Slicer:
    • In "Field" enter your grouped Field

This will give you a Filter Slicer with all of the values you want to see, then a group of values at the very bottom that contains all the values you don't want to see. If you don't have too many values you do want to see, you can even format this filter slicer as a List and resize it so that all of the values except for the Z group at the bottom show up.

AmitK Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I found a hack

My data has hospital Id in one table and hospital names in another table. To see only hospital for Ids present in table1, I added the hospital id slicer from first table and manually chose all the IDs (remember not to use select all also add a blank id in the first table  ),

add another slicer from the master table.The first slicer will filter the second slicer .hide the first slicer behind second slicer

Ajan Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

You can add a page level filter and remove what you don't want to appear in the slicer. This is really useful when your requirment is to remove (Blank) or empty option from the slicer.

alxdean Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

If a direct page filter wont' help, then you are probably filtering the wrong table and a relationship is missing.

Anoterh way to help limit your slicer options is to ensure you have cross filtering enabled. 

often you have filters on the page, but the slicers seem unaffected by the filters. that's possibly because you're filtering for all won opportunities but are not applying that filter back to the accounts list. (just as a concrete excample I was struggling with)

if you configure your relationship between the two tables to not just filter in a single direction but both you will see that slicers automatically filter too. 

PS. this cross filter option often only works once. PowerBI does not like multiple cross filters in your model as it can only handle a singe filtering path. 

ararat07 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thanks @sumit4732 It's a great workaround! Just wanted to add that you can hide SL2 in the Selection Pane, it will eliminate the need for step 4 and 5.

Super User
Super User

I just saw another option for this that @Mike_Carlo came up with. Since we can show and hide things on a page, he just copied a slicer, filtered it, then hid the slicer. The other slicer retains the same context without the filtered out value and no one is the wiser. A bit harder for someone else to discover Smiley Happy but its super quick without the need to layer things. As a seperate note I just thought of, it would be easy to just create a bookmark page that contained the filtered slicers, would be easier to discover.

Near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Highlighted
Mike_Carlo
Advisor

Here is the tutorial on how to accomplish this: https://powerbi.tips/2018/05/apply-a-filter-to-a-slicer/
Mike Carlo ( https://powerbi.tips )
mike@PowerBI.Tips
RobinDeFal Member

Hi Mike, 

Isn't your solution the same as using a Page/Report level filter? If not, what's the difference?

Thanks

Robin