cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
karola_shanker Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Visual level filtering for slicers

It worked your idea in the older version of PowerBI desktop. This idea is not working in new version.

Super User
Super User

@karola_shanker Thanks for pointing this out... This is not good... Someone created this as an issue and it was pushed to ideas... vote up and make comments here. I will be, I've got a ton of reports that use this.

Near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
fklein Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

This trick doesn't work now anymore. Switching back to the slicer removes the visual filter that was applied to the table.

Any new suggestions?

Adoman Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Same here. We need also any suggestion how to solve this issue. Creating a new table is not applicable for us.

Thx

kmccormick Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

There is a cusom visualization called "Hierarchy Slicer" that has this functionality. You don't have to use the hierarchy aspect of the slicer if you don't need it, but the list filters down based on your other selections. This needs a permanent fix though, and I know there can be issues with custom visuals on mobile devices. 

https://app.powerbi.com/visuals/show/HierarchySlicer1458836712039

Petra_Rosenboom Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

@kmccormick I tried to use a filter in the Hierarchy slicer, but for that's not possible. Did you really add a filter to that visual (the hierarchy slicer)?

cousinlarry Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Any solutions to this? Am bumping up to this as an issue now...

Super User
Super User

@cousinlarry I haven't heard of any on the visual end. You would have to deal with it in your model layer.

Highlighted
shds Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

This workaround no longer seems to be working. No official method available yet either. 

😞

Super User
Super User

@shds Correct, broken - no "fix" You would have to handle a "one-off" in your model if this was a unique slicer just for a page. You could do this using a calculated column to define your groups, or a seperate table. (just a couple examples, but both of them are a bit of excessive work for what should be a simple switch)

Helpful resources

Announcements
October 2019 Community Highlights

October 2019 Community Highlights

October was a busy month in the community. Read the recap article to learn about some of the events and content.

New Solution Badges

New Solution Badges

Two waves of brand new solution badges are coming! Read the article for more information on our new community badges.

Ask Amir Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event No. 2 – Ask Amir Anything

Next in our Triple A series: Ask Amir Netz questions about the latest updates, features and future.

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Experience a limitless analytics service built to ingest, prep, manage, and serve data for immediate use in Power BI.

Users Online
Currently online: 270 members 2,349 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: