Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ewong18
Regular Visitor

Visual is showing an entire column as blank

Hello, I'm having a strange situation with the Power BI.

I have dataset that is built in python, which is then exported into a spreadsheet. The Power BI then reads from the spreadsheet. For one particular column, if I create the column in python one way, it displays fine. However, I create it a different way, the visual in Power BI will show everything from that column as blank. The strange thing is that the column in the spread sheet, the preview in the Power BI query, and column in the Data section all show what is expected, and that there are values other than Blank. However, when I create the visualisation, it shows that the column has nothing but blanks. I've also verified with the corresponding filters.

Unfortunately the data is confidential so I will not be able to share screenshots. It's jut odd because I've created other columns in python with the same method and they don't have this issue. 

Does anyone have any ideas what would cause this?

5 REPLIES 5
JarroVGIT
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Sounds like in one of the cases, the column is actually parsed as an invalid datatype. For example text instead of number?
Hard to think of anything else without any screenshots tbh:)
Let me know if this helps!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

That’s what I thought too!!! But the column is showing up as a text “ABC” column in both the PBI back end query as well as the front end Data section. The column is only used as a category in a bar chart. It’s being used as an axis. I wonder if the numpy NaN’s from the python could cause that issue? But I have other columns with NaN’s in the python that have been displaying perfectly fine.

Hi @ewong18 ,

Could you please try to create a calculated column using CalculatedColumn=TRIM([OriginColumn]) and then use the new column in a table visual ? What is the kind of Data Category of the origin column? 

6.jpg

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello,

Unfortunately, creating the new column with TRIM did not fix the issue.

Also, the Data Category is currently set to Uncategorized. The data wouldn't fall into any of the categories on the list.

Thank you

Would it be possible to share some screenshots of the PowerQuery screen in both cases? It is just guessing at this point without being able to see the data 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.