Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Budfudder
Helper IV
Helper IV

Visual in CRM - Huge Load Time

I have a Power BI Report with four (4) tabs, each of which has its own SQL statement to pull its data. All four SQL statements use Import, not Direct Query. I published it to Power BI Online, all good. I then published each page of the report to a single Dashboard in Power BI Online - again, all good.

I then published it to a Dynamics 365 dashboard, with each page (tab) being a separate tile on the dashboard. Great. That all works nicely...except. Whenever you make a selection in one of the slicers, it takes literally minutes to refresh.

Why is this? I thought the whole point with using Import rather than Direct Query is that it caches a local copy, so that refreshing the display is very quick. But that's not what I'm seeing. Have I done something wrong in how I've published it? I've not had this problem before, but none of the other visuals I've published have been anywhere near this big (all before have used a single SQL query).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Budfudder,

As the blog I shared you mentioned, though DirectQuery is performing much slower than the Import Data option, there are still many factors will affect the speed for loading data.

Import Data loads data into memory. It is always faster to query data from memory (Import Data), rather than querying it from disk (DirectQuery). However, to answer the question that how much faster it is, we need to know more details about the implementation. Depends on the size of data, specification of the server that the database is running on it, the network connection speed, and factors such as is there any database optimization applied on the data source, the answer might be entirely different.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Budfudder,

I thought the whole point with using Import rather than Direct Query is that it caches a local copy, so that refreshing the display is very quick. But that's not what I'm seeing. Have I done something wrong in how I've published it? I've not had this problem before, but none of the other visuals I've published have been anywhere near this big (all before have used a single SQL query).

To some extent, your understanding is correct. However, to answer the question that how much faster it is, we need to know more details about the implementation.

You could have a reference of the Performance in this blog. You should choose the right connection based on your data size.

Best Regards,

Cherry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks, Cherry. Unfortunately some of the DAX I'm using in the report can't be used with Direct Query, so I had to go with Import. I don't understand why it's taking so long to load given that I'm using Import.

Hi @Budfudder,

As the blog I shared you mentioned, though DirectQuery is performing much slower than the Import Data option, there are still many factors will affect the speed for loading data.

Import Data loads data into memory. It is always faster to query data from memory (Import Data), rather than querying it from disk (DirectQuery). However, to answer the question that how much faster it is, we need to know more details about the implementation. Depends on the size of data, specification of the server that the database is running on it, the network connection speed, and factors such as is there any database optimization applied on the data source, the answer might be entirely different.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.