Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

kormosb
Helper III
Helper III

Visual idea help

Hey Guys,

I would like to visualize the following.

I have different kind of trainings which have prerequisite trainings in the following table.

So we have training ID-s (every row different), and every training has a general training level (basic, intermediate, advanced, and so on - to 6 level). To be able to participate at an intermediate training you have to finish ALL the basic level trainings (third column - training prerequisite level), and for advanced trainings you have to finish all the basic and intermediate trainings. Furthermore - column 4: training prerequisite training - in some rare scenario you have to finish a special training to be able to participate (for example to start "Training ID 4" you need to finish "Training ID 3".

Training IDTraining levelTraining prerequisite levelTraining prerequisite training
1Basic- 
2Basic- 
3IntermediateBasic 
4IntermediateBasic3
5AdvancedIntermediate 

I would like to visualize the links between the trainings, to see which trainings I should finish to be able to start an advanced training in a graph chart or somewhere. Do you have any suggestions what chart I should use?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Benjamin

6 REPLIES 6
kormosb
Helper III
Helper III

And how can I create more "columns" in the sankey chart for all the training levels?

Sankey works on pairs of data.  Basic to Intermediate, Intermediate to Advanced etc. For each possible combination provide the number of users who completed that path (for example) and the Sankey will do the rest.

Can you help me with your idea? I uploaded the sample excel and PBI file here: PBI community files

I think I should create 2 table, one for the training id-s and one for the prerequisite requirements, and should list all the prerequisite training id-s for 1 training. The structure of the data is wrong I reckon (that I have a prerequisite level for one training - which can mean 10-15 prerequisite trainings), I would need all the prerequisite training id-s for one training id. What do you think?

Thank you for providing the sample data. That helps a lot with proposing a potential solution.

Something like this?

lbendlin_0-1652792529587.png

or more aggregated like this?

lbendlin_1-1652792797798.png

Thank you for your advice!

I need similar design as the first pic you sent, but it would be important to visualize the connection between the trainings (so not just the levels). I mean I have to show what the prerequisite trainings of each training are (so what are the prerequisite trainings for the level 4 trainings). So, we need more „columns” to be shown.

My solution would be the below at the moment. But the problem with that is that I can’t see the prerequisite training IDs, if they are on the same training level.

kormosb_0-1652799656885.jpeg

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Use a Sankey Chart.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.