Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Visual based on Calculated Table not responding to Slicer Filter

Hello,

I have a data set that looks like this (simplified):

IDStepCountry
34532String1USA
543423String1USA
454String2Canada
3245String1USA
3533String3Canada

I need to count the occurences, so I created a table:  SUMMARIZE('DataSet','DataSet'[Step])

Then I created a bidrectional relationship between 'Table' and 'Dataset' using [Step]. 

Then I added a new calculated column to 'Table':  CALCULATE(COUNTA('Dataset'[Step]),allexcept('Table','Table'[Step]))

The reason why I am using a caculated table is because I need a cumulative count of the strings.  I have a third column which uses the EARLIER function to achieve this. 

All of this works fine.  The problem occurs when I put the results into a visual on my report, the visual does not respond to any filters or other visuals.  These filters and visuals are all based on 'Dataset', and THEY do respond to the visual when I click on each string count...  it just doesn't work the other way around.

I suspect this is due to the ALLEXCEPT function ignoring any applied filters.  So I used FILTER('DataSet','DataSet'[Step]='Table'[Step]) instead, and it still doesn't respond to my filters.

For example, if I elect to filter by USA, the visual does not respond.  However, if I click on the Step 1 count, all the other visuals DO respond.

5 REPLIES 5
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous

I still can't understand your problem. As I tested, the visual with 'Table' populated will respond to filters properly.

65.PNG

66.PNG

68.PNG

69.PNG

Regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, my simplified table doesn't illustrate the issue.  Try this one:

IDStepCountry
34532String1USA
543423String1USA
454String2Canada
3245String1USA
3533String3Canada
452String2Canada
325String2USA
345String2USA

When you filter for Canada, you'll see that it reports 0 counts for string 1.  This is good.  It also reports 4 counts for string 2...  meaning it is including the counts for USA.  This is not good.  I only want it show to the 2 counts for Canada.

Thank you for your time in looking at this!  It should be simple...  but I just dont get it 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure if "bumping" a topic is good etiquette here, but I'm still stumped.

Hoping someone reading this will have an aha moment.

Try:

CounterforCanada = Calculate(COUNTA(Step), 'table1'[country] = "Canada")

Filtering all this might be an easy way if that works for you. Slicer it, otherwise code it in.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can create individual measures, sure, but then my options for visuals is limited...  and I can't use that visual to filter the rest of the report.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.