Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

IlMoro
Helper II
Helper II

Visual advanced Filter does not work

Hi,

I have a column with differen phrases and I just wanted to count them and filter out few of those but is seems that advance filter does not work.

Just changing the second parameter from "contains" to "does not contains" all data reset and none is filtered out even if the first parameter is in place (4005 is the total number of lines).

The word "hrtjhsjntntrnstrns" does not exist in the souce file and I inserted it just as test to figure out if there was a bug in the program.

PowerBI desktop version 2.98.683.0 64-bit (oktober 2021).

Any useful help is appreciated.

SelA.JPGSelB.JPG

5 REPLIES 5
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@IlMoro , I think conditions should be and in both case

Can you share sample data and sample output in table format? Or a sample pbix after removing sensitive data.

If I set "AND" then I've got "0" (zero) data, empty graph, as I would expect so in this case the filter works.

It is with the option "OR" that the filter does not work.

All the data is sensitive however I will try (give me just a while) to do a screenshot and remove everything except those items that can provide some useful information for the case resolution.

This is the table so very simple.

If I add, as second option, "do not contains" and "password" then I get the filter reset and it shows all 4005 objects in the graph.

Capture.JPG

Hi @IlMoro 

Is your issue that when you use "does not contain" twice with OR logic in filter, the result will return to 4005(all objects)?  I think this correct, "or" means not including A or not including B. So the result will be count of not including A + count of not including B <=Total(4005). In your screenshot, the second word "hj..." is a word not contain in each row. So this will cause count of not including "hj..." return 4005. 

My Sample:

1.png

Result:

2.png

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-rzhou-msft 

I would expect what you've got from your exempel if i used the condition "And" since "And" is a "+", not "Or".

"Or" means that the filter has to consider one OR the other, not both at the same time.

"And" means that the filter has to respect both conditions at the same time.

So it seems that the filter is not working as it should...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.