Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jcs93
Helper I
Helper I

Visual Not loading - RLS and Direct Query

I have an issue in a report I'm developing...Here's the summary

Large report, using a mix of Direct Query and Import to compartmentalize data to allow deployment with RLS, restricting table access on a use case-by-use case basis.

Works greate on the desktop and online, until I include Conditional Formatting in a visual that's pulling data from a DQ Table.  When I "view as role," I get an error code of "Internal error: An expression services limit has been reached. Please look for potentially complex expressions in your query, and try to simplify them.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface."

When I 'copy details' and look at the code, it ends up being about ~19,000 characters.  I've since turned many of my queries into SQL views to reduce the line/character count, thus simplifying the m code behind.

In short, a large report (~146mb PBIX) with 22 tables with a mix of Import and Direct Query.  The 'M Query' to build is 13,352 characters after changing over to 5 SQL Views.  I'm using the April 2019 version of PBI Desktop.  The 'Failure to load visual' only comes up on a single visual that pulls data from a single table.

I do have one other visual that uses DQ through a SQL View with Conditional Formatting that works just fine.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@v-xicai 

Thank you...you got me pointed in the right direction.  It turned out that my custom columns in the DQ table were the culprit.  I remove the custom columns and put the fields into SQL and it works perfectly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jcs93 ,

According to your error message:>>"Internal error: An expression services limit has been reached. Please look for potentially complex expressions in your query, and try to simplify them.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.". Maybe you have create a column or measure using complex DAX code, please simplify it, for and try it again.

Or try to upgrade the Power BI Desktop to the latest version 2.68.5432.841.

If the issue still exist ,I would suggest you create a support ticket  to get dedicated support: 

1.gif

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-xicai 

Thank you...you got me pointed in the right direction.  It turned out that my custom columns in the DQ table were the culprit.  I remove the custom columns and put the fields into SQL and it works perfectly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.