Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GuilhermeB

Visual Legend - Repeated indices found in GroupBy or Projections

Today after preparing the base model (dimensional) for the data, i set out to explore it a bit.

All worked fine, until suddently whilst adding legends to my graphs, I always get this error when using information from the fact table: "Couldn't load the data for this visual. Repeated indices found in GroupBy or Projections".

The error isn't exactly explicit, but I assume this might be related with the fact that I'm appending multiple CVS together; from which I then build the facts and dimensions directly on PBI, and the indices are somehow messed up.

Has anyone had this problem before?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Dear v-lionel-msft,

I apologize for the late reply. Oddly the enough, the problem seems to have fixed itself. What seems to have triggered the correction was the use of DAX Studio to export the tables one by one. I'm assuming this was a memory key allocation conflict by PowerBI from using multiple append queries, but I can only assume.

Once again, thank you for your help.

View solution in original post

DanT
Advocate I
Advocate I

Ran into the same error here and fixed it by removing the conditional color before applying the legend. I think the reason for this case is that, some conditional colors have already been applied, and adding a legend column will triggers another usage on multiple colors. Then there's conflict on the color applying rules, and Powerbi just couldn't determine which rule to use for the colors. To solve such confict, you could just give up on either the legend or the conditionale color. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
DanT
Advocate I
Advocate I

Ran into the same error here and fixed it by removing the conditional color before applying the legend. I think the reason for this case is that, some conditional colors have already been applied, and adding a legend column will triggers another usage on multiple colors. Then there's conflict on the color applying rules, and Powerbi just couldn't determine which rule to use for the colors. To solve such confict, you could just give up on either the legend or the conditionale color. 

100%  @DanT this is the solution.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

I had the same issue. Thank you DanT, your solution solved the problem 🙂

Doughnut

Hi,

Have a similar issue when for the given table:

DateCategoryCol 1Col 2
1/1/2020             112321
1/1/2020             214332
1/1/2020             312312
1/2/2020             123432
1/2/2020             243243

where I calculated the measure X=Divide (sum(Col 1), sum(Col 2)).

When I drag the column Category to the 'legend' box of a line chart (with date as 'axis' and X as 'values') I get the error message "Repeated indices found in GroupBy or Projections"

Thanks for your help

v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @GuilhermeB ,

The problem is that there is a grouping and aggregation conflict between the fields of X axis and the Legend.

Please show me the sample data model, I will check it for you.

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Dear v-lionel-msft,

I apologize for the late reply. Oddly the enough, the problem seems to have fixed itself. What seems to have triggered the correction was the use of DAX Studio to export the tables one by one. I'm assuming this was a memory key allocation conflict by PowerBI from using multiple append queries, but I can only assume.

Once again, thank you for your help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.