Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

trabass
Frequent Visitor

Visual Filters vs Measures on a table

Hi There,  Struggling to figure out a filter, sure it's simple but I'm stuck. 

Currently I have three visual filters setup on dashboard - company, financial year, quarter.

For example.  If I change financial years or quarters on a dashboard the figures for each row in the table add up correctly with the visual filters.

Company = A

Quarter = 1

Year = 2017

Project Name

Target

Actual

Project A

Project B

Project C

The table behind this consists for mulitple rows divided into months. i.e.

Tasks

Project Name

Company

Target

Actual

Month

Financial Year

Quarter

Project A

A

Project A

A

Project A

A

Project B

B

My problem is I need to calculate a status for tasks based on the summing a number of tasks, depending on the visual filters selected (i.e. everything for company A, 2017 and Quarter 1), which kind of works.

Created a measure in the Tasks table called Status. 

Actual formula as follows which adds up numbers in another two columns.

Status = IF (AND(sum(Tasks[BenefitTarget1]) = 0, sum(Tasks[BenefitActual1]) = 0), "No Benefits Identified",

IF (AND(sum(Tasks[BenefitTarget1]) > 0, sum(Tasks[BenefitActual1]) = 0), "Not Started",

IF (AND(sum(Tasks[BenefitTarget1]) = 0, sum(Tasks[BenefitActual1]) > 0), "No Benefit Target Set",

IF (AND(sum(Tasks[BenefitTarget1]) > 0, sum(Tasks[BenefitActual1]) < sum(Tasks[BenefitTarget1])), "Not Yet Realised", "Benefit Targets Realised"))))

As I said this kind of works, except for some reason it also returning other companies in the table still on the dashboard…. The status works out correctly.  If I remove the measure the table filters perfectly.

My data model looks like this.

Any advice? Sorry for the long post but trying to explain.

2017-11-02_13-15-24.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Dale,

Thanks for the response.  I'll put together a dummy pbix file and add it.  Would like to learn how to make this work.

1. Are Tasks[BenefitTarget1] and Tasks[BenefitActual1] measures or columns?  > These are columns of data

2. Where are the fields of the slicers from? Are they from the three 1-side data tables? > Yes.  I created them so i had unique key to filter between the tables.

3. How did you make the visual table? Some fields should from the 1-side data tables.  > No, i didn't know this.  The table on the dashboard is just off the tasks table.  I will change it.

Could you please share a dummy pbix file?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @trabass,

Your model is clear and simple. It looks great just from your description. I have a few questions.

1. Are Tasks[BenefitTarget1] and Tasks[BenefitActual1] measures or columns?

2. Where are the fields of the slicers from? Are they from the three 1-side data tables?

3. How did you make the visual table? Some fields should from the 1-side data tables.

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Dale,

Thanks for the response.  I'll put together a dummy pbix file and add it.  Would like to learn how to make this work.

1. Are Tasks[BenefitTarget1] and Tasks[BenefitActual1] measures or columns?  > These are columns of data

2. Where are the fields of the slicers from? Are they from the three 1-side data tables? > Yes.  I created them so i had unique key to filter between the tables.

3. How did you make the visual table? Some fields should from the 1-side data tables.  > No, i didn't know this.  The table on the dashboard is just off the tasks table.  I will change it.

Thanks for your help.  Yes adding in the 1-sided fields would resolve the problem.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.