Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Visual Filter for Cumulative Sum Issue

Hi,

I need some help with cumulative sum line.

Before selecting any slicer, the visual shows this:

Before Slicer.PNG

But after applying filter, the visual shows the below.

After Slicer.PNG

How then can I make the line graph show the full graph, starting from zero to the end of the chart, similar to the first screenshot?

Regards,
Nicholas Hiew

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@AnonymousUpdate cummulative total DAX as give below and that will do it, as @Seward12533 suggested to use cross filter to both direction, it has performance hit but instead of setting up the relationship, you can use it in DAX formula basically you are using cross filter to both direction when required

Cumulative = 
CALCULATE(
SUM('Table2'[Count]),
CROSSFILTER(Table1[Week of Year],Table2[Week No.], Both),
FILTER(ALL('Table2'),
'Table2'[Week No.]<=MAX('Table2'[Week No.]))
)

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

@Anonymous try this

Cumulative = VAR Result = 
CALCULATE(
SUM('Table2'[Count]),
FILTER(ALL('Table2'),
)
RETURN
IF(Result,Result,0)

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
Seward12533
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Also what is your desired result? do you want the **bleep** to be unaffected by the filter or do you want the scale to be fixed?  The problem is the **bleep** is being plotted on its own axis and PBI is dynamically adjusting it based on the data. Or do you want the other data to not be displayed and only show the filtered data?

If you want the **bleep** to adjust.

Look at either turning off the secondary Y axis to you **bleep** is plotted on the same scale (probably not what you want) or fixing the scales manually

If you want the **bleep** not be affected make sure you the USE the ALL filter(s) for the slicers your using

If you want the other data to be filtered out then adjust the visual interations and chose filter.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

Can you share sample data and what is your current measure?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Both,

This is my desired result (lines in red), when sliced by category.

After Slicer_expected.png

My Data (Table 1) looks like this, with the last column "Week No." is created in query editor:

Table 1.PNG

And I have another table (Table 2) created to give me the following value (only the first column is from an excel sheet):

Table 2.PNG

For cumulative column (note that I use excel to replicate these), I used the following measure:

Cumulative =
CALCULATE(
SUM('Table 2'[Count]),
FILTER(ALL('Table 2'),
'Table 2'[Week No.]<=MAX('Table 2'[Week No.]))
)

EDIT: I also tried adding a column for cumulative, which still yield the same visual results:

Cumulative =
CALCULATE(
SUM('Table 2'[Count]),
FILTER(ALL('Table 2'),
'Table 2'[Week No.]<=EARLIER('Table 2'[Week No.]))
)

Appreciate your help. Thanks.

Regards,
Nicholas

Rather than have the the week number come from your fact/data table have use the week number from the date table.

The **bleep** Measure would be following this pattern.

**bleep** = CALCULATE(sum(fact[value],all(date),filter(date,date[date]<=max(date[date]))

In your case since you only want cume YTD you would need to add a condition to filter out prior and future years &&date[year]=year(now())

So it would look something like
**bleep** = CALCULATE(sum(fact[value],all(date),filter(date,date[date]<=max(date[date]&&date[year]=year(now()))

The problem your having is your slicers are eliminating the data so your current measure for calculating the **bleep** will return null so nothing is displayed the measure based on the dates from the date table will return the results you require and you let the filter context of the PowerBI engine do the work an you don’t need to deal with the secondary table or the complexities of earlier. (Which is awesome that you figured out I still don’t have my head fully around that. )

Hey @Anonymous Can you share the data in excel sheet for the solution?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous,

It seems that you want to have a visual filter with cumulative Sum?

Could you share a screenshot of your visual filter setting?

Actually, if you have a visual filter for cumulative sum, it will show the values match the filter condition.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-piga-msft,

I used a donut chart based on the category. So for example, when no category is applied, it shows this:

No Filter.PNG

When I choose a category, say for category A:

Category-A.PNG

Now obviously this looks fine since this constitutes most of the values, however the cumulative line is still not right, as it still shows the total, not total by category.

This becomes ugly when I apply to Category C:
Category-C.PNG

My slicer looks like this:

Category.PNG

Hope my explanation is clear enough.

Regards,

Nicholas Hiew

Hi @Anonymous,

Do you want to get the output like below?

When I click "B" on the Donut chart, it will show this.

B.PNG

When I click "D" on the Donut chart, it will show like below.

D.PNG

If you want the output above, you could have a reference of the attachment.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-piga-msft,

I would like the cumulative line to be dynamic as well. Meaning when I choose category A, the cumulative line changes to Category A's cumulative line.

Hi, it has to do with the filter context not applying the way you think it will.  When you  use the slicer on one table it does not force that relationship backwards against the arrows.  There are may ways to handle it. The simlest is to edit the relationship so it crossfilters in both directions. This however is not the most robust solution.  Take a look at this tutorial I put together for an internal user group for some more robust solutions that will work as you develop more complicated models.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuCIkLeqFmlhhJgzLZ6jPcWgLGu3Yw

@AnonymousUpdate cummulative total DAX as give below and that will do it, as @Seward12533 suggested to use cross filter to both direction, it has performance hit but instead of setting up the relationship, you can use it in DAX formula basically you are using cross filter to both direction when required

Cumulative = 
CALCULATE(
SUM('Table2'[Count]),
FILTER(ALL('Table2'),
)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @parry2k and @Seward12533!

BTW @parry2k, do you know how to make the line start from week 1 as well?

@Anonymous try this

Cumulative = VAR Result = 
CALCULATE(
SUM('Table2'[Count]),
FILTER(ALL('Table2'),
)
RETURN
IF(Result,Result,0)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome! Thanks @Seward12533!

Hi @v-piga-msft just to clarify I said the cross filter was the easiest. But my attachment compared several options and recommended forcing the context via DAX or if possible slice off a bridge table that forced a standard relationship down into each of the tables.   One question I have is the performance differecne of using CROSSFILTER vsreferencing the other table name (which I assume implies a cross filter)  This is the method I currently favor but if there is a performance benefit to using crossfilter vs just the table name I will start using that.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.