Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

djnww
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Visual Filter - Search String for Multiple Keywords ?

Hi All,

We have call centre data with a comments field loaded into Power BI. I was hoping to create a report where users could search/filter out multiple key words.

For instance, I want to find anyone that has commented on "Insurance" and "Storm" within the 1 string/comment.

Our call centre system is not the smartest and people have relied on writing Excel functions to do these searches previously.

Cheers,

Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xjiin-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@djnww

To achieve your requirement, you can create a slicer table then use this slicer table to filter the comments. Please refer to following sample:

The comparison measure is like: 

Searched Comments =
IF (
    SEARCH ( SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Filter'[Column1] ), MAX ( Comments[Col] ),, BLANK () )
        = 1,
    MAX ( Comments[Col] ),
    BLANK ()
)

1.PNG2.PNG

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Warrenz
Frequent Visitor

I've tried dropping two or more standard Microsoft Text filter visuals onto the page.  The only downside is that it will always work like the 'AND' function.  Also used a combo of the Microsoft Text filter visual with the WordCloud visualisation.  The handy thing about the Word cloud visual is you can use the CTRL key to choose multiple combinations of words to filter on.

v-xjiin-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@djnww

To achieve your requirement, you can create a slicer table then use this slicer table to filter the comments. Please refer to following sample:

The comparison measure is like: 

Searched Comments =
IF (
    SEARCH ( SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Filter'[Column1] ), MAX ( Comments[Col] ),, BLANK () )
        = 1,
    MAX ( Comments[Col] ),
    BLANK ()
)

1.PNG2.PNG

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was able to get this DAX formula to work but had two follow-up questions.

1.  Is there a way to only show one of the two columns?  If I remove one of the columns from my table, then the filtering no longer works and I would prefer not to show two identical columns in my table.

2.  This filtering solution has significantly slowed down my report (table is over 100K row when not filtered).  Is there an alternative that might run faster?

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Try the Wordcloud custom visual.  You can download that free from the Custom Visual store.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors