Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

irnm8dn
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Visual Design Question - Capability?

Below is a sample dashboard I created for illustrative pruposes.  You'll see that the top two rails have been added more for design and visual purposes, highlighted in yellow on the far left side.  The dark gray in the top rail might include a logo, a refresh date.  The lighter gray rail would include slicers.

Nonetheless, once published, is there a capability in PBI that allows the non-interactive aesthetics to be committed to the "background", and not accidentally "selected" by an unknowing user?

Thanks

Dashbaord Design.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi,

You can "protect" objects/visuals on a page by placing them behind a transparent box shape. In effect you create a layer on top of the visuals which is just a shape. The way to do this is to layout the objects you want "protected", insert a rectangular shape (no borders, set "Fill" and "Line" to transparent) to cover the objects and then, with the rectangular shape selected, go to the Format tab on the main menu and choose "bring to front" (in the "bring foward" dropdown). Just to make sure, you can select the objects you want to "protect" and use the same Format tab to send them "send to back" under the "send backward" dropdown. 

It's also more elegant to disable the "Visual Header" in the object formatting pane for at least the rectangle, if not all the affected objects.

Bit laborious but it works.

Hope it helps!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi,

You can "protect" objects/visuals on a page by placing them behind a transparent box shape. In effect you create a layer on top of the visuals which is just a shape. The way to do this is to layout the objects you want "protected", insert a rectangular shape (no borders, set "Fill" and "Line" to transparent) to cover the objects and then, with the rectangular shape selected, go to the Format tab on the main menu and choose "bring to front" (in the "bring foward" dropdown). Just to make sure, you can select the objects you want to "protect" and use the same Format tab to send them "send to back" under the "send backward" dropdown. 

It's also more elegant to disable the "Visual Header" in the object formatting pane for at least the rectangle, if not all the affected objects.

Bit laborious but it works.

Hope it helps!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @irnm8dn ,

If I understand your question correctly, you mean that you don't want the other users to edit when you publish the report in Power BI Service?

If that is the case, you could publish your report in the classic app workspace with the view permission or share the report with the others so that they cannot edit it.

If you need any other help, feel free to ask.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-piga-msft  I don't believe that is the question I am asking.

Simply put, the two colored rails at the top of my visual - I'd like to know if/how I can restrict a user from accidentally selecting them, and make them part of the design/background.

I think you want to turn off the "Visual Header"

Hi @irnm8dn ,

If I understand your requirement correctly that you don't want others to edit the two colored rails at the top of your visual in Power BI Service?

If it is, how do you create the two colored rails at the top of the visual? 

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.