Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MichaelHutchens
Helper IV
Helper IV

Virtual table to aggregrate support ticket activity logs

Hi folks, I'm hoping someone can help. I have a data table that contains rows of IT support tickets, the Assignment Groups that the tickets were transferred to (one 'transfer activity' per row), and the timestamp of when the ticket transfer happened. An example is below:

NumberTransferCreated
INC0184914Business Systems02/04/2020 15:14:40
INC0184914Business Systems30/03/2020 11:31:45
INC0184914Info Apps18/02/2020 15:24:16
INC0184914Info Apps04/02/2020 16:06:17
INC0184914Infrastructure Team30/03/2020 13:46:50
INC0173401Infrastructure Team17/02/2020 10:37:27
INC0200144Service Site 120/02/2020 10:04:25
INC0200144Service Site 207/02/2020 14:03:45
INC0173401Service Site 312/02/2020 11:33:20
INC0200144Service Site 604/02/2020 15:27:37

(the live data is in a random order in this table)

I'd like to transform this data into a virtual table so that:

1. There is a single row for each IT support ticket
  2. The columns in the virtual table include the ticket number, and, in chronological order, the names of the Assignment Groups that each ticket has been transferred to. This will give me a visualization of the 'path' of support tickets in the organization. An example of what I'd like to see is below:

NumberTransfer 1Transfer 2Transfer 3Transfer 4Transfer 5
INC0200144Service Site 6Info AppsService Site 2Info AppsService Site 1
INC0184914Info AppsInfo AppsBusiness SystemsInfrastructure TeamBusiness Systems
INC0173401Service Site 3Infrastructure Team   

The number of 'transfer' columns would need to expand and contract, depending on the maximum number of ticket transfers.

Ideally I'd like to be able to export data from this virtual table into a .CSV in the same format as the example result table above.

Any help would really be appreciated 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@MichaelHutchens add new column using following DAX expression:

Rank Transfer = 
RANKX ( 
    FILTER ( 
        'Table', 
        'Table'[Number] = EARLIER ( 'Table'[Number] ) 
    ), 
    'Table'[Created] , , 
    ASC, 
    Dense 
)

Add a matrix visual, user number on rows, rank transfer on columns, and Transfer on values

parry2k_0-1612491676242.png

Check my latest blog post Compare Budgeted Scenarios vs. Actuals I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Ashish_Mathur This is great but I will not go that route. Pivot is a very expensive query and it will take forever to work. Cheers!!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Thank you for the feedback @parry2k 

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

This M code works

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("hZCxDoIwFEV/pWGmyXt9FbCbOrG44EYYCKkJA0hoMfHvbRMFBAxrc0/PfTfPg/R6AUzkEWUQBufB1K02hmUvY3Vj3BMIDpILEMDwoFyqCPchAg70gVARrqG0vT/Yqet8GhPuLF+F2FDM067NmI4URJvpvjS2Hyo79JrddNksOpGSMy4mCfiXw3jygaJ45AQASu/LdP+sK82y2mrmPxIwR0DuIMJfNbNIBbRu94OQLyYmxI1MO5ZosZ1b2t1SvAE=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Number = _t, Transfer = _t, Created = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Number", type text}, {"Transfer", type text}, {"Created", type datetime}}),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Changed Type",{{"Number", Order.Ascending}, {"Created", Order.Ascending}}),
    Partition = Table.Group(#"Sorted Rows", {"Number"}, {{"Partition", each Table.AddIndexColumn(_, "Index",1,1), type table}}),
    #"Expanded Partition" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Partition, "Partition", {"Transfer", "Created", "Index"}, {"Transfer", "Created", "Index"}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded Partition", "Custom", each "Transfer "&Number.ToText([Index])),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom",{"Index", "Created"}),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Removed Columns", List.Distinct(#"Removed Columns"[Custom]), "Custom", "Transfer")
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

Hope this helps.

Untitled.png

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@MichaelHutchens glad, I could help. Good luck!

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@MichaelHutchens add new column using following DAX expression:

Rank Transfer = 
RANKX ( 
    FILTER ( 
        'Table', 
        'Table'[Number] = EARLIER ( 'Table'[Number] ) 
    ), 
    'Table'[Created] , , 
    ASC, 
    Dense 
)

Add a matrix visual, user number on rows, rank transfer on columns, and Transfer on values

parry2k_0-1612491676242.png

Check my latest blog post Compare Budgeted Scenarios vs. Actuals I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Hi @parry2k, thanks so much for this. Aside from being able to export the results into .CSV (and that is a 'nice to have'), this fits the bill really well 🙂

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@MichaelHutchens why INC0184914 will not show "Info Apps"?

Hi @parry2k , apologies that was my error. I've edited the original post to correct this now 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.