Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sbuster
Helper I
Helper I

Virtual/Temp Tables and Relationships

When I create a new table based on a DAX formula, is there some type of 'inherit' relationship between the new and old tables?  For example, if I have a details table with many keys, then create a rollup table where there is 1 row per key, is a relationship kept?  
I'm wondering how row filters (slicers) impact the visual with detailed records and visuals with summary records.  I'm assuming the answer is no, i'd have to create one myself but wanted to confirm.

3 REPLIES 3
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @sbuster ,

This depends on what you refer has a new table, saying this because the title refers to virtual/temp tables but the text seems to be talking about a table added to your model.

If you create a new table on the model the relationships are not inherit, and you need to create the ones that are needed.

However if you refer to a variable created within a measure logic for example those will have impact by the models.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Miguel, the title is confusing but you further provided clarity... if I interpret what you are say:
1) When I create a virtual/temp table within a measure then relationships are maintained / used in row/filter context where appropriate.

2) If I author a new table which is the result of a DAX statement (i.e. not an external source) then no relationships are maintained.  I would have to add relationships manually

Is this accurate?

Hi @sbuster

Correct, the only way a filter context be forced to be used or not is having the use of an ALL statement or a summarize that refers to those related tables, however this is only to get the data, after the calculation is done the result is independent of the relationships in the table.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.