Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

triseid
Frequent Visitor

Viewing hidden fields in PowerBI Report Builder

Hi,

I'm building a report in PowerBI Report Builder and my data source is an Analysis Services Tabular model. There are hidden fields in the data model that I need to use for the report, however I am unable to view hidden fields in Paginated Report Builder when using the Query Designer and when I try to write the query myself, it is also not able to bring in the field. 

Additionally, it seems that after fields were hidden which were already in use in a Paginated report, they were removed from my report entirely and broke the report. 

I found one other topic on this from 2019, but there was no answer: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Power-BI-Report-Builder-Hidden-fields/idi-p/701257

Let me know if anyone has ideas. Thank you. 

9 REPLIES 9
triseid
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-kelly-msft ,

Thank you for the response. I created a Data Source based on my data model using Azure Analysis Services connection type. Then I created Datasets from that Data Source. The Datasets aren't able to pull hidden fields. 

Is this what you mean by 'load the model?' 

Thank you,

Tristan 

Hi  @triseid ,

Are you using a live connection or import as the connnection type?

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my reply as a solution!

Hi Kelly,

The issue is occuring in PowerBI Report Builder (not PowerBI Desktop). I am unfamiliar with distinguishing between connection type in the Report Builder application. 

Thank you!

Tristan 

Hi @triseid ,

Would you pls check you could see fields in AS model?

Best Regards,
Kelly

Hi @v-kelly-msft 

Thanks for the continued troubleshooting. I can see the field in AS model, but they are greyed out because they are hidden. 

I tried recreating the issue with a new report but I wasn't able to. I created a one field report,  then I hid the field in AS, and the report continued to work okay. However, I'm still experiencing the issue with more complicated reports, where if a field gets hidden, the entire report breaks until the field is removed or unhidden. I haven't been able to isolate what is the exact difference causing the issue. 

Hi  @triseid ,

I'm afraid that the issue is that you are not granted the access for the hidden fields in AS model,that's why once the field is hidden,you are not able to view it.Pls check about it.

Below is a reference you may need:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/analysis-services/multidimensional-models/grant-cube-or-model-permi...

Best Regards,
Kelly

Hi @v-kelly-msft 

I greatly appreciate the troubleshooting. I don't think that is the reason though as I have owner role and I can also use the hidden fields in a PowerBI Desktop report. 

Thank you!

Hi @triseid ,

Sorry for not being able to help.Since I cant reproduce your senario,would you pls create a support ticket via below link and our relevant engineer will help to handle it:

Support | Microsoft Power BI

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my raeply as a solution!

v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @triseid ,

Did you load the model?

Best Regards,
Kelly

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.