Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

newgirl
Helper V
Helper V

View set by another reader

Hi, guys!

I made a report for a team that reports complaints for a certain period. I used a calendar slicer in it because they said it themselves that even though they will use this report weekly, it's possible that the period they want to report can change (for example, currently they report the period from last Thursday to this week's Wednesday. In the future, this period could change).

Anyway, they have this point-person who's in charge of uploading the data in SharePoint which is connected to the report. She checks as well if the data reflected in the report is correct.

However, a member of her team asked if it's possible that after the point-person is done checking the report and setting the calendar slicer based on their reporting date, can the other members view the slicer set up by the point-person? The reason is they don't want to have to change the date filter ever time they open the report. They just want to see right away the view made by the point-person.

So is this possible? I've read about persistent filters but I think it can't depend on the filter made by another reader. If that's the case, can you think of a workaround for this situation?

FYI that they don't have Pro licenses.

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@newgirl , The information you have provided is not making the problem clear to me. Can you please explain with an example?

But What I am getting, you need 2 things, A week setup from Thursday to Wednesday and Select this week by default

This should help for week start of  your choice

Any Weekday Week - Start From Any day of Week
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Any-Weekday-Week-Decoding-Date-and-Calendar-2-5-Powe...

Default week :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfn05preQYA

Select this week in the slicer

Week Type = Switch( True(),
[start week]<=Today() && [end date]>=Today(),"This Week" ,
[start week]<=Today()-7 && [end date]>=Today()-7,"Last Week" ,
[Week Name]
)

Appreciate your Kudos.

Hi @amitchandak !

Here's the scenario:

The report has a calendar slicer (From and To date slicer) and is scheduled for daily refresh. The point person appends the new data in SharePoint and waits for the scheduled refresh to pass by (in short, I am already hands off when updating their report). Then she opens the report and filters the slicer as of reporting period, say, January 5 to January 10, 2020 to see if the data she uploaded is reflected correctly in the report (basically, she's the one who's in charge of the report and checks it). 

What they want is that after she checks the data, when other members would open the report, they would also like to see January 5 to January 10, 2020 set as the date, just like how she filtered it. This is where my problem comes in.

As much as I want to use a measure using a "Today" or "This Week" in the slicer, I can't because of 2 reasons:

• They want the 'From and To' date slicer to stay because at any time, they would like to view the past data for a specific period (example Jan 1 to Jan 13 or Jan 15 to Jan 18 or Dec 10 to Jan 10)
  • The weekly period they are using now could change any time as well. For example, last year, the reporting period was Tuesday of the last week until Monday of this week. This year, it has changed again. In the future, it could also change. In short, the reporting period is not really constant.

@newgirl , Based on what I got.

As of now, you can not initializes date ranges based on some logic. 

She can save the report and share with other users again, ( publish and share) 

other option is 

Create a Tuesday Week( Blog Given) in date table, Create this week in date table and select that(Video shared). 

In this week you can create WTD ( Week till date if needed) 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.