Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

View native query Grayed out

if ODBC supports SQL query folding because "View native query" function for all tables imported from Source db via ODBC are greyed out?

My tables from Source db follow the allowed rules for folding, I do not use merge or any other table joining function even from the same source.
I only use group by and avoid using complex formula or DAX on Power query editor.
Even after importing a table from Source db via ODBC (before any editing), when I check folding on "View native query" its always shaded hence my initial ask if maybe ODBC imported table do not support this function...? I can still refresh my tables but without query folding it takes a long time, alternative would be to configure incremental refresh with the latest update data refresher.

Please advise, Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Here are a couple of things you can try.

For a SQL Query load:

1. Connect using ODBC but do not add the SQL Query.
  2. Right click on the database and select Transform Data.
  3. Open Advanced Editor and add a comma after your last step.
  4. Call the next step something like SQL or LoadSQL. Make your code look like this

SQL = Value.NativeQuery(Previous Step Name, "SQL Query Here",null)​

1. Now check to see if you can view the Native Query. If not then try adding an additional parameter:

SQL = Value.NativeQuery(Previous Step Name, "SQL Query Here",null, [EnableFolding=true])​​

For data loads without the SQL Query

1. On the Source step add HideNativeQuery=false like this

= Odbc.DataSource("data source", [HierarchicalNavigation=true, HideNativeQuery=false])

Then check to see if you can see the Native Query.

Watsky_0-1636643922079.png

I'm running ODBC and I'm not having issues seeing it.

Did my answer(s) help you? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!
Did my post answer your question(s)? Mark my post as a solution. This will help others find the solution.

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Did Watsky 's suggestions help with your scenario? if that is the case, you can consider Kudo or accept his suggestions to help others who faced similar requirements.

If that also doesn't help, please share more detailed information to help us clarify your scenario to test.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Watsky
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hey @Anonymous 

Are you using a SQL Query to bring in the data or are you loading the table? If you're not using a SQL Query to bring the data in if you clicked on the Navigation step do you see View Native Query lit up or grayed out there?

Did my post answer your question(s)? Mark my post as a solution. This will help others find the solution.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Both ways I tried , but View Native Query Garyed Out.

Step 1 :  Using SQL Query load the data result in Power query editor :  "View Native Query" Garyed Out

Step 2 : Load the Data from source table into Powerbi desktop result in Power query editor :  "View Native Query" Garyed Out

Here are a couple of things you can try.

For a SQL Query load:

1. Connect using ODBC but do not add the SQL Query.
  2. Right click on the database and select Transform Data.
  3. Open Advanced Editor and add a comma after your last step.
  4. Call the next step something like SQL or LoadSQL. Make your code look like this

SQL = Value.NativeQuery(Previous Step Name, "SQL Query Here",null)​

1. Now check to see if you can view the Native Query. If not then try adding an additional parameter:

SQL = Value.NativeQuery(Previous Step Name, "SQL Query Here",null, [EnableFolding=true])​​

For data loads without the SQL Query

1. On the Source step add HideNativeQuery=false like this

= Odbc.DataSource("data source", [HierarchicalNavigation=true, HideNativeQuery=false])

Then check to see if you can see the Native Query.

Watsky_0-1636643922079.png

I'm running ODBC and I'm not having issues seeing it.

Hello, how are you doing!

I have a similar prolama I read your post but I do not understand the point :

-Connect using ODBC but do not add the SQL query.

How should I connect? can you place an image ? Thank you

Same issue... solution: What WATSY recommended, but get rid of [EnableFolding=true]. If that's in the Advanced Query statement the wheel will be grayed out. Get rid of it an voila... Cheers.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.