Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

natemarshall
Frequent Visitor

View Categorical Data Type in a Line Chart Condensed

Hello,

I am trying to show the trend of a test result of a manufactured product over time.  I am using the Line Chart, and my problem is that I want to use Categorical Type on the X-axis, not Continuous Type.  It may be days or weeks before the same product is run, and Continuous interpolates in between.  Categorical will show each test result with a timestamp, but for hundreds of data points this can cause quite a long scroll bar.  I want it condensed so I can see months of data and analyze the trend.

The data is being stored as a Quantity (53.5), and Date/Time (2017-12-11 15:54:06.957).  

Is this possible?

Thanks, Nate

7 REPLIES 7
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi Nate,

If you want a monthly graph, you can drill down to month as the picture shows.

If you want more help, please provide a dummy sample.

View_Categorical_Data_Type_in_a_Line_Chart_Condensed

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Oops this accidentally got posted twice.  Here is the original post.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Show-Categorical-Data-Trend-Condensed/td-p/322289 

This one can be deleted.  Thanks.

Hi @natemarshall,

The link is invalid.

Best Regards,

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

That is confusing, apologies.  Here is my follow up from the other thread.

Thank you for the response.  I am not looking to drill down into a time heirarchy.  I would like to show all entries on the X-axis, but responsive to window size of the chart.  I pulled the data into Excel, and was able to achieve my result.

Yield Trend.JPG

When I resize the Excel chart, it will still show me all the data points.  Perhaps not as granular, but I am only interested in the trend.  In Power BI, the chart does not "condense" the results.  It adds a scroll bar and I must scroll to see all results.

Does this help?

Thanks,

- Nate

Hi Nate,

If you are only interest in the trend. Why not changing the type of X-axis to Continuous and the visual will be condensed.

If you still want this feature, please create an idea here.

View_Categorical_Data_Type_in_a_Line_Chart_Condensed2

Best Regards,

Dale

I am not interested in Continuous because it interpolates.  It sounds like Power BI is not able to have a responsive line chart in the "Categorical" X-Axis Type yet, and that's fine.  I can pull my data into Excel and get my result with the "Text Axis" type in Excel.

Thanks.

Hi @natemarshall,

If you want this feature, please create an idea here.

Best Regards,

Dale

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.