Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Very weird problem

In power Bi I have some self made columns where everything seems correct:

Schermafbeelding 2019-11-30 om 11.52.40.png

RunningCharge is a column with a cumulative sum beginning at the start of the year and sums all charges to that date

And Maxpermonth is a column where he takes the maximum value of per month of RunningCharge

I made an visualization where every month contains the sum of all charges for that certain month and there is a line in that chart that shows the maximum value per month for the running charge. So you can see the cumulative charge over the year and see which months have the most influence of that cumulative run.

(I can not show the visualization for private reasons, but I can show this:)

Schermafbeelding 2019-11-30 om 12.01.19.png

Now the weird part. You see I choose the median of the Maxpermonth for the line. The reason for that is that is the only way it works. When I choose the maximum, minimum or average, if it worked correctly, it should not make any difference, because all the values for one month in the column Maxpermonth are the same. But somehow it gives totally different values.

Now the even more weird part of it. When I choose for example maximum, he chooses the maximum for some months that don't even have that maximum in it. For example, in April 2017 there was a maximum of about €70.000. For April 2017, he gives that value, but also for some other months which makes no sense at all, even for months (not only April) in 2018 he gives the same value. When I look at the columns there is really nothing wrong with it.

Sorry for not sharing the plots, but I just can't share that information

4 REPLIES 4

Hi @Anonymous 

has your question been answered?

If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.

Please give Kudos for support.

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.

Marcus Wegener works as Full Stack Power BI Engineer at BI or DIE.
His mission is clear: "Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website - podcast

v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous ,

Have you tried with Analytics pane? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-analytics-pane

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

If possible please share a sample pbix file after removing sensitive information.
Thanks

Hi @Anonymous ,

i recommend a date table and a running total measure.

There is a running total quick measure

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/quick-measures-preview/

If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.

Marcus Wegener works as Full Stack Power BI Engineer at BI or DIE.
His mission is clear: "Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website - podcast

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.