Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

E__
Helper III
Helper III

Very small values are showing as zero, no matter how many decimals I show

Hi,

I've been breaking my head about this, but I can't seem to find an explanation. When the values that I've put in my table become very small (< 0.01), they show as zero, no matter how many decimals I show.

The problem is in the fourth column, which contains a measure defined as DIVIDE(A, B) *100. The first and second column show the values for A and B.

E___0-1661847104683.png

As you can see, the values become zero. When I drill up a level, the value becomes large enough to not be zero:

E___1-1661847200920.png

As you can imagine, our users are confused by this - as am I - because the 0,01 seems to come out of nowhere. I solved the issue by changing the formula to what's in the third column, DIVIDE(A*100, B), and this does give the expected result. But I would've expected that increasing the numer of decimals would also have shown the correct values. 

Can anyone explain why the fourth column gives a zero result, even though the numbers aren't nearly as small as the smallest number a decimal number can be? In the documentation, I've found:

The Decimal Number type can handle negative values from -1.79E +308 through -2.23E -308, 0, and positive values from 2.23E -308 through 1.79E + 308.

Many thanks!

Best,

Eva

4 REPLIES 4
PVO3
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi Eva,

Select the measure and check what is shown here. Format should be decimal with >2 decimals.

PVO3_0-1661848410889.png

Hi @PVO3 

As you can see in the visual, the number of decimals for each of the measures is set to ten. The results stays zero.

Best,

Eva

PVO3
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

There are multiple ways to set the amount of decimals. 

- Are you sure you are using a measure (not a calculated column)?

- Did you check the amount of decimals as shown in the screenshot?

Otherwise please provide an example file

Hi @PVO3 ,

Yes, I'm sure that I'm working with a measure, and I checked the decimals as shown in the screenshot.

E___0-1662020583041.png

I can't provide an example file, since the report is built upon an SSAS dataset, and I can't seem to replicate the issue when using only the exported resulting rows for which the issue presents itself, since the underlying rows on which the measure is calculated aren't available. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.