Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

Very Slow Oracle Connection Speed

Hello,

I'm trying to connect to an on-primise Oracle database. I followed this instrucution and installed ODAC and instant client. 

This is the connection speed if I use sqldeveloper and each row has 140 fields. At least I can fetch like 80 rows/second. 

Capture.PNG

However, when I use Power BI Desktop and connect the same database and the same table, I can only import 5-8 rows/second. I have 100K rows in this table, so this is going to take forever...

Then I connected to a remote desktop to a server, Power BI can load like 500 - 800 rows per second... but I can't do the development work on my remote desktop..

Did anyone have the simliar issue? Did I set up ODAC on my laptop wrong? Or there's other componment I didn't install?

Thank you,

Matthew 

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Re: Very Slow Oracle Connection Speed

Hi Matthew,

When connecting the Oracle Database, in the prompt (where you enter your server name etc.) Is the checkbox "Include relationship columns" checked? If it is, can you check the performance without that checked?

If you want it to be faster with that option checked, a significant Oracle performance improvement is in our near-future plans 🙂

Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

Thank you for the information and the insider news! I will double check that checkbox and let you know later today! Thank you, Matthew
Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

Hello Arify,

Sorry for replying to you late. I tried your method to uncheck the box. But the speed didn't improve that much... 

I guess that's mainly my connection speed issue. Maybe I should wait for the new version release. I don't think I missed any key Orcale add-in to install, right?

Thank you,

Matthew

Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

If unchecking that checkbox didn't make it faster, then it's probably your connection speed.. Can you try some other tools to see if they're faster? (Make sure the results aren't cached, otherwise it would appear fast 🙂 )

Highlighted

Hi, Sorry for replying to an old thread, but was this issue ever solved? - I see a few other threads reporting the same issue but with no solution. I am facing the same problem - data load from Oracle is much slower compared to other DBs (Postgres, SQL Server), especially when table has a lot of columns and/or the column size is large (ex. VARCHAR2(4000)). Tableau loads the same data at least an order of a magnitude faster - so its definitely not a network speed issue.   

Highlighted

Would be interested in an update as well, since we have big issues with extracting data out of an Oracle DB

Export of 134k rows, 12 mixed columns.

Oracle SQL Developer: approx 1 minute

Power BI: 20 minutes

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I'd be really interested in an update on this one too.

I completely echo abkgo's comment - I'm connecting to an Oracle view I have created with both PowerBI and Tableau, yet the extraction time between them is very different (Tableau being significantly faster). 

Also - probably a separate issues I know, but when I publish a PBI book to the PowerBI service and connect via a content gateway that has been installed, the performance seems somewhat hit and miss. I'm extracting about 2.5m rows on my desktop, which takes around 20-30 however the same extraction in the PBI service takes about 2hrs and frequently times out (because its hitting the 2hr limit).

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

The post was made in 2016...And the connection is still slow...any progress or updates?

It takes forever to load

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Yeah, i have the same slow performance accessing Oracle Database with the 64-bit ODAC installed.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Community Conference

Microsoft Power Platform Communities

Check out the Winners!

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Tech Marathon

Maratón de Soluciones de Negocio Microsoft

Una semana de contenido con +100 sesiones educativas, consultorios, +10 workshops Premium, Hackaton, EXPO, Networking Hall y mucho más!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors