Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

NedFlanders01
Frequent Visitor

Vertical lines between columns on a matrix table

Hi everyone, 

I am looking to add some vertical lines to my matrix table so are some separation between each column. Is this currently possible? Thank you in advance!

Matrix_Table_Lines.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @NedFlanders01 ,

I wanted to acheive the same thing with the caviat that I wanted to define the Vertical Grid line thickness for different levels of my hierarchy but no luck so far. Here is what I've ended up:

2019-03-06_Matrix grid Lines.png

I built a Calendar hierachy but you don't necessarily need a hierarchy to make this happen. In my scenario, I wanted the hierarchy vertical lines to be thicker than the measures vertical line. 

In your case, all you need is to turn on the Vert Grid and give it some thickness and color.

2019-03-06_vertical_grid.png

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Usher

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
JamesHB
Regular Visitor

Create a blank column and add it to the matrix in between the columns where you want the vertical line.  Then, make it very narrow and set the background color (in Cell Elements) to match the theme of your report.   

mglasser
Advocate I
Advocate I

The reply marked as a solution is not quite a solution to the requested problem.  Turning on the vertical grid puts vertical lines between every column.  The original request, as well as the problem I am trying to solve, is to only put vertical lines between the changes in the Column field and not between the multiple Values fields.  We both only want vertical lines separating the months with no line between goal and actual within the month.

Did you try my link?  This is the work around for what you are after I believe.

And the answer to the OP.  That is why I added my initial reply.

garythomann_vac
Advocate III
Advocate III

https://wmfexcel.com/2020/05/31/insert-blank-columns-to-table-in-powerbi-desktop/

Adding this reference to help others and so I can find it again.

I think this is a better solution. Thanks!

BTW it would be nice to have border formatting!

I did not originally read your link, but that does indeed solve the OP better than the marked solution.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @NedFlanders01 ,

I wanted to acheive the same thing with the caviat that I wanted to define the Vertical Grid line thickness for different levels of my hierarchy but no luck so far. Here is what I've ended up:

2019-03-06_Matrix grid Lines.png

I built a Calendar hierachy but you don't necessarily need a hierarchy to make this happen. In my scenario, I wanted the hierarchy vertical lines to be thicker than the measures vertical line. 

In your case, all you need is to turn on the Vert Grid and give it some thickness and color.

2019-03-06_vertical_grid.png

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Usher

Hi there.  How did you get two rows at top?

Thanks @Anonymous !

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@NedFlanders01,

You may try Grid in the Format section of the Visualizations pane or add Line from Shapes in the Home ribbon.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-chuncz-msft, thank you for the reply. I may have mispoke in my original post.

What I am trying to achive is to have a line that separates out the months. Screenshot below is from Tableau, which I am trying to replicate in PBI. 

Matrix_Table_From_Tableau.png

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.