Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

elbachaoh
Frequent Visitor

Vertical Tracks for time-based data plots

Guys,

I have a large dataset 900,000+rows where all data is indexed by time with 1 second resolution.

The requirement I have is to plot the data on Vertical tracks with simple line charts: time would be the y axis and x would be the chosen parameter.

I have not found any solution that allows to do that. PBIVizEdit.com have a published visual called "Multiple Vertical Line Chart", which is the closest thing to what I need except that it is limited with the time range that it can display (~1000 data points).

Any suggestions?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

Can you share some sample data and a depiction of the expected outcome?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

Paul,

Thanks for your response. Sample data can be found on the following link Sample Dataset

A sketch of the required visualization can be found on the following link Sketch . It is simply the standard "LINE CHART" or "AREA CHART" visualizations but inverted, i.e. Y-Axis represents time and the X-Axis represents features.

Regards

So I've given this a shot with Charticulator, but my pc really struggles when I try to plot the full set of data points for any particular feature, and the result does not appear to be particularly useful (even when I try to add an option for scrolling the y-axis, my PC really struggles and I cannot seem to tweak the axis to any useful settings. This is what it looks like:

all.png

I tried using a measure for average and different time intervals, in case you think any will fit the bill:
15 secs.png

30 secs.png

HM.png5 min.png15 min.pngHour.png

I've attached a sample PBIX file

Paul on Linkedin.

Paul,

Thanks, this is pretty close and it has a many details that I can use elsewhere, and from a functional perspective it kinda does the job but won't work with my data model.

Apparently I missed some details and I apologize for that:

1-This is ultimately intended to work with SQL Direct Query data source, which means I cannot do any subsequent steps in PowerQuery

2- The chart is supposed to fit 3 or 4 features at a time

3- There should be ability to customize colors, line shapes, line...

I'm basically looking for same capabilities as a line/plot area chart.

I wish there was just a rotate button somewhere.

If you're out of ideas, I'd like to know if the source codes for Line and Plot Area charts available anywhere for download. I'll just swap the code sections between x and y following these tutorials

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/visuals/

Thanks

Sorry... can't help any further. That level of development is waaaaay beyond my scope of "expertise"...

It might, however, be worth trying the Developer forum?

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Developer/bd-p/Developer 

Paul on Linkedin.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.