Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Version update

Currently after every new version one has to install new version, like microsoft provide updates for many of its softwares can't they provide update in power BI desktop. As everytime developer has to contact admin team to install new version.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mwimberger
Resolver II
Resolver II

@nilesh_amrutkarThis is a real pain - but you can ask your IT team to grant local administrator rights on the machine which could allow just installation of software but other areas may and can be locked down still - such as access to Regedit and Powershell etc. This might all be completely possible even under your group policy settings. 

I would venture with proper motivation ( time $aving due to not using their time and additional benefits with each monthly update -  your supervisor would be able to give permissions for this) 

If your access to the windows store is blocked ( which happens sometimes - even with admin rights on a local machine) you can still download and install the software by bypassing the windows store and choosing advanced download options as in the following steps off the powerbi.com website.

2019-06-28_14-53-01.jpg

Maybe this helps you until the update process becomes better, but I would hold your breath for that. Rather apply for local admin rights. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
mwimberger
Resolver II
Resolver II

@nilesh_amrutkarThis is a real pain - but you can ask your IT team to grant local administrator rights on the machine which could allow just installation of software but other areas may and can be locked down still - such as access to Regedit and Powershell etc. This might all be completely possible even under your group policy settings. 

I would venture with proper motivation ( time $aving due to not using their time and additional benefits with each monthly update -  your supervisor would be able to give permissions for this) 

If your access to the windows store is blocked ( which happens sometimes - even with admin rights on a local machine) you can still download and install the software by bypassing the windows store and choosing advanced download options as in the following steps off the powerbi.com website.

2019-06-28_14-53-01.jpg

Maybe this helps you until the update process becomes better, but I would hold your breath for that. Rather apply for local admin rights. 

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @nilesh_amrutkar ,

Power BI Desktop is now available through the Windows Store, it is available to keep up to date with Power BI Desktop automatically and without requiring admin permissions.

If you're not using Windows 10, please vote for this idea so that Power BI Desktop can be made available through Microsoft Update to older versions of Windows.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

I had PB Destop "updated' (ie installed) each time  by the local IT team (MS should know that there are a LOT of companies that DO NOT allow admin permissions...)

However, lately I noticed that update links go to Windows Store, and it wants to install it as an app -- so I gave it a try (so I would not bother the IT guys every month)... Funny thing... now I have 2 PowerBi Destop (one June ver and one Aug ver) and it fires somehow randomly...

2019-09-06 PBI versiune June.PNG2019-09-06 PBI versiune August.PNG

I have just tried but even company policy is restricting windows update due to which even downloading of power BI desktop from Microsoft app is not possible.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors